[SOLVED] Fans setup help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

I am planning to buy BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx case.
I plan to add extra fans to cool the pc nicely.

My idea:
The case comes with 3×14cm 3pin preinstalled fans. (One front,one top,one back.) I plan to put the top one on the front and buy two 14cm pwm for the top.

Is this going to be okay for good airflow or the two the top fans going to take the air away from the cpu cooler? So should be enough only one on the top?
The goal is:The two 14cm(3pin) front intake and the two top 14cm(Pwm) and the back one 14cm(3pin) exhaust(out).

My concern that is better to put pwm on the top instead of 3pin and front and back is okay to leave the 3pin fans.

And my last question: Should i buy the silent wings 3 or the pure wings 2 is good enough as well?

My config:
Cpu: I9 9900k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Case: Be quiet Pure Base 500Dx
PSU: Seasonic Px850 Focus Plus Platinum
Memory: 3×16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 2666mhz
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
SSD:1tb Samung 970 Evo
Hdd: Wd black 2tb 7200rpm
VGA: Msi Rtx 2080 Ti GamingX Trio

Thanks for your replies.

Solution
The back of the shelf is not closed. Now I have around 8-9 cm space of the wall.
Great! It's not a problem then.
I was under the impression that the back of the desk was walled off and that you would need to DIY a hole in the back of it.

That is why i want to buy this case (BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx because its depth is 450mm) the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Se which I have now its 500mm. So in this case I can get like 5-6cm more space. From top of the case to the ceiling I have around 5cm. The height of the BQ is 463mm the Phanteks height is 480mm. I can get like 1-2 more cm with the BQ height. So the the top of the case and between the ceiling is going to be around 6-7cm space. I know I am talking about few mm difference but it...

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi all,

I am planning to buy BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx case.
I plan to add extra fans to cool the pc nicely.

My idea:
The case comes with 3×14cm 3pin preinstalled fans. (One front,one top,one back.) I plan to put the top one on the front and buy two 14cm pwm for the top.

Is this going to be okay for good airflow or the two the top fans going to take the air away from the cpu cooler? So should be enough only one on the top?
The goal is:The two 14cm(3pin) front intake and the two top 14cm(Pwm) and the back one 14cm(3pin) exhaust(out).

My concern that is better to put pwm on the top instead of 3pin and front and back is okay to leave the 3pin fans.

And my last question: Should i buy the silent wings 3 or the pure wings 2 is good enough as well?

My config:
Cpu: I9 9900k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Case: Be quiet Pure Base 500Dx
PSU: Seasonic Px850 Focus Plus Platinum
Memory: 3×16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 2666mhz
Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
SSD:1tb Samung 970 Evo
Hdd: Wd black 2tb 7200rpm
VGA: Msi Rtx 2080 Ti GamingX Trio

Thanks for your replies.
that its great setup...i dont know how u connect all fans on mobo...in case all fans plug in mobo u can control even 3pin fans individual reducing RPM in bios or using some software...
check this case is similar even cheaper
Montech AIR 900 MESH

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
SteveRX4 could actually be right about not needing so many fans.
The optimal fan setup depends on the design of the chassis and the hardware being used, and the best way to find that is to do your own testing.
If you're not interested in doing that, then follow the recommendation of front to back, bottom to top airflow path - it's foolproof in most chassis.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
Thanks to all of you the answers. My biggest concern is about the fan setup because for the i9900k needs a good airflow. The case is going to be in shelf of my desk. In the back is not many space. That is why i am thinking also put fan on the top for exhaust and put for intake 2*14cm on the front. I am just worry if the top fans going to take the air away from the cpu cooler. Unfortunately I dont have much time to testing the airflow/temperature and the fan setup.
And also my concern that card length is 327mm and the clearance is for the case is 369mm. So is it has enough space to circulate the air?

Excuse me for the lots of silly question. I want to do this now and I dont really want to touch my pc for a while. :) (Hopefully :)) )

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
An enclosed space in the desk? Front to back airflow is going to be even more important, and top exhaust could prove to be harmful depending on how close the 'ceiling' of the shelf is to the top of the chassis.

In the back is not many space.
Then make some if need be. You want the air to come in and out one direction, and not possibly circulating its way back towards the front, only to get sucked back in. The latter is one of the greatest concerns in enclosed spaces.

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
An enclosed space in the desk? Front to back airflow is going to be even more important, and top exhaust could prove to be harmful depending on how close the 'ceiling' of the shelf is to the top of the chassis.

Then make some if need be. You want the air to come in and out one direction, and not possibly circulating its way back towards the front, only to get sucked back in. The latter is one of the greatest concerns in enclosed spaces.

Maybe I was not really clear. The back of the shelf is not closed. Now I have around 8-9 cm space of the wall. That is why i want to buy this case (BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx because its depth is 450mm) the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Se which I have now its 500mm. So in this case I can get like 5-6cm more space. From top of the case to the ceiling I have around 5cm. The height of the BQ is 463mm the Phanteks height is 480mm. I can get like 1-2 more cm with the BQ height. So the the top of the case and between the ceiling is going to be around 6-7cm space. I know I am talking about few mm difference but it makes a lot.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The back of the shelf is not closed. Now I have around 8-9 cm space of the wall.
I was under the impression that the back of the desk was walled off and that you would need to DIY a hole in the back of it.

That is why i want to buy this case (BeQuiet Pure Base 500Dx because its depth is 450mm) the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Se which I have now its 500mm. So in this case I can get like 5-6cm more space. From top of the case to the ceiling I have around 5cm. The height of the BQ is 463mm the Phanteks height is 480mm. I can get like 1-2 more cm with the BQ height. So the the top of the case and between the ceiling is going to be around 6-7cm space. I know I am talking about few mm difference but it makes a lot.
You really should test with your current chassis before going forward with a change that may not yield any noticeable results.
-Front to back only
-Front to back and top
Test both, and compare.

One of the problems with that video is that it isn't representative of an enclosed space.

Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019

You really should test with your current chassis before going forward with a change that may not yield any noticeable results.
-Front to back only
-Front to back and top
Test both, and compare.

One of the problems with that video is that it isn't representative of an enclosed space.

So as the guy said in the video the top can be intake? Because so far I know it should be exhaust. So far what I know that my actually case has two top fans as well and they are also intake inculding the two front as well. The I9 9900k temperature right now is around 30celsius.
Thanks. I will test it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So as the guy said in the video the top can be intake? Because so far I know it should be exhaust.
Yes actually. But testing should be done to see if it is beneficial or not.
The 'optimal' fan setup is going to vary on:
-chassis design and layout
-chassis location
-the hardware you have housed inside it

I played around with some Noctua fans and found that the best setup in my particular case is fans in the front only. Fans in the top and the rear turned out to be worse, contrary to the popular recommendations. A few pics:
View: https://imgur.com/jqCkW8b

View: https://imgur.com/6rlXvTH

View: https://imgur.com/txhPbhe

Status
Not open for further replies.