Question Fans sometimes making noises and turning slower than usual when booting up PC.

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
So ocassionally, after i boot up pc from sleep/hibernate, or just at the start of the day, I've been having this problem where one of my front intake fans make noise and slightly slow down. the fan is a fan I had previously when I moved my system to a new case a month ago, the fan that came with the case are fine . It doesn't stop (waited around 3 mins) unless I shut down my PC and reboot it up again. the fan was working perfectly fine in the previous case

Any idea what might be causing this?

here's my specs:

Cpu: Oem Intel Core Processor I7-12700kf 8p/16 + 4e 3.60ghz 25mb Cache [w/o Graphic] 125w Lga1700
Cpu Cooler: Cyberpowerpc Deepcool Castle 240ex Argb Aio Liquid Cpu Cooler W/ Anti-leak Technology
And Deepcool Castle Aio Liquid Cpu Cooler Retention Kit (lga1700 & Lga115x)
Fans: Cyberpowerpc Dual Addressable Digital Argb 120mm Fan 3pins & 2 fans that came with the airflow 5000d case
Ram: G.skill Trident Z Rgb Series 32gb (2 X 16gb) 288-pin Sdram Pc4-28800 Ddr4 3600 Cl18-22-22-42 1.35v
Ssd: 1tb Wd Blue Sn570 Pcie Nvme M.2 Ssd & Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb Nvme M.2 Internal Ssd
Gpu: Zotac 4080 trinity oc
Case: Airflow 5000d
Psu: rm 1000x Gold 80 Plus
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z690-p Wifi Ddr4 Atx Wi-fi 6 2.5gbe Lan 4 Pcie X16 1pcie X1 3x M.2 Sata/pcie Lga1700 Cec

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What sort of noise?

Consider that that fans simply spin up to default speed "X" and after receiving some subsequent data (temperatures, rpms, etc.) determine that speed "X" is unnecessary/too much and then slow down.

I will venture the thought that the initial boot warms things up and that the subsequent boot does a better job of matching fan speed to temperatures.

No apparent need or requirement to slow down.

Likely some dependency on a mix of component, case, and environment temperatures.

Barring specific performance problems that generate error codes etc. then the noise is likely just inherent to the system and can be ignored.

Just keep an eye on everything and ensure that all firmware and drivers are up to date.

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
What sort of noise?

Consider that that fans simply spin up to default speed "X" and after receiving some subsequent data (temperatures, rpms, etc.) determine that speed "X" is unnecessary/too much and then slow down.

I will venture the thought that the initial boot warms things up and that the subsequent boot does a better job of matching fan speed to temperatures.

No apparent need or requirement to slow down.

Likely some dependency on a mix of component, case, and environment temperatures.

Barring specific performance problems that generate error codes etc. then the noise is likely just inherent to the system and can be ignored.

Just keep an eye on everything and ensure that all firmware and drivers are up to date.
light buzzing noise, u can hear it here here . I haven't had any issues while gaming, so I guess its not too big a deal. but i just want to make sure that the current noise problem isn't something to worry about

Ralston18

Titan
This case?

Case

Sounds like some pattern of resonance and vibration.

If you gently hold your fingers on the outside of the grillwork does the sound change?

Or touching outside the anywhere make a difference?

Check that all screws are fully and firmly in place for case and fans. No loose screws.

Try a few small pieces of electrcal tape here and there to dampen/buffer out vibrations.

Or setting the case on a rubber pad might help.

Key to first identify the cause and locations contributing to the noise. Then work out a way to stop or reduce the noise at that point.

Just small actions that can be undone if and as necessary.

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
This case?

Case

Sounds like some pattern of resonance and vibration.

If you gently hold your fingers on the outside of the grillwork does the sound change?

Or touching outside the anywhere make a difference?

Check that all screws are fully and firmly in place for case and fans. No loose screws.

Try a few small pieces of electrcal tape here and there to dampen/buffer out vibrations.

Or setting the case on a rubber pad might help.

Key to first identify the cause and locations contributing to the noise. Then work out a way to stop or reduce the noise at that point.

Just small actions that can be undone if and as necessary.
Yeah that's my case

I'm made sure that the noise is coming from the center of the fans. I've also checked and saw that the noise frequency slowed down a bit as the speed for the fan slowed down a bit, even tho the fan usually never slow down after like 20 seconds after boot.

The fans involved with the issue is connected by SATA to PSU, along with a rgb controller. But I don't think the rgb controller being connected on the same sata cable would reduce power to the fans

Last edited:

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
So one of my front intake fans have been making noises sometimes when booting up, and I figured that there was a pin that was a bit lower than the others in the molex connector. Is there any way to fix this?
2xoeuaa.jpg

Also does it even matter if that pin is bent even though the wires of the fan go thru two of the pins that aren't bent?

I tried to detach it right now since it's 2 fan connectors stuck to each other, but it's doesn't seem like they'll disconnect

Last edited:

Znn

Prominent
Aug 30, 2022
Recessed pin is 5V. It is not being used for powering fans.
Fans use 12V.

And it also has nothing to do with fan noises.

Your fan probably has worn out.
Replace the fan.
Oh ok. Still makes me wonder what makes the noise from the 1 fan. It happens like atleast once or twice a day when first boot or when awakening from sleepm then after I shut down and turn it back on, it's fine

TRENDING THREADS