Question Fans spinning but no display and unresponsive caps lock

May 6, 2023
I was in my brother's pc's bios trying to turn on secure boot because Valorant required it, In the process I created a public key, enabled secure boot and clicked save and exit. When it restarted it had no display but the fans were spinning. This pc has worked perfectly fine for almost a year and now I encounter this issue

Things I have tried: I have reset CMOS by removing the battery and shorting the jumper, I have reseated the ram and gpu and rubbed its teeth with a eraser, I have tried using a different ram slot (there are only two), I have tried disconnecting all my drives to see if it posts because I have heard its a non essential component, I have tried using a spare PSU that I have that I know works, I think I have narrowed it down to three components the CPU, motherboard or GPU which could be causing the issue but of course I'm not a expert so I might be wrong about some things. I feel like its the motherboard thats the culprit but cant say for sure since I don't have a spare mobo or cpu. The pc is only a year old and I didn't expect it to start giving me problems so quick

Specs: cpu-intel 310100F
gpu- nvidia gt 1030
mobo- gigabyte h410mh v3
ram- some random cruicial 8gb ddr4 (1 stick)
psu-corsair cv450

My last resort is taking it to a pc shop but I'm posting it here just in case if I have overlooked something simple

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Solution
It's been a long time sonce I bought a mobo, so I don't think I can make a useful recommendation. You might try this. List out what you want to do with the machine, what parts you have already that you would like to keep, and what your budget is. Post this as a new thread asking for advice. Maybe specify which country you are in or where you can buy things. You will probably get lots of advice - enough to make it hard to choose.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It is possible the changes you made also set the mobo BIOS to use the on-board graphics chip for video output, instead of the video card in the PCIe slot. Try moving the cable that feeds your monitor to the mobo's rear-panel HDMI port (or DVI if that's what your monitor is fed by) and see if you get a display there. If you do, you can use BIOS Setup to change what default video output device to work with. See mobo manual p. 28 under "IO Ports" where you can specify that the PCIe card is to be used. After you SAVE and REBOOT, move the cable back to the video card output port.

One more item to check IF you can get a video display to work with. You did a BIOS Reset well, but missed the last step. In Setup, use F10 to go to the Exit Menu (p. 36). There choose Load Optimized Defaults. This loads a stable complete set of default options that will work. Now go back to the Main Menu and go through the major option screens to set any particular items you know need changing. These might include that designation of the PCIe video card, the choice of what device to boot from, any custom fan settings, etc. Once you have all those right, again go through Exit Menu to SAVE and REBOOT.

May 6, 2023
It is possible the changes you made also set the mobo BIOS to use the on-board graphics chip for video output, instead of the video card in the PCIe slot. Try moving the cable that feeds your monitor to the mobo's rear-panel HDMI port (or DVI if that's what your monitor is fed by) and see if you get a display there. If you do, you can use BIOS Setup to change what default video output device to work with. See mobo manual p. 28 under "IO Ports" where you can specify that the PCIe card is to be used. After you SAVE and REBOOT, move the cable back to the video card output port.

One more item to check IF you can get a video display to work with. You did a BIOS Reset well, but missed the last step. In Setup, use F10 to go to the Exit Menu (p. 36). There choose Load Optimized Defaults. This loads a stable complete set of default options that will work. Now go back to the Main Menu and go through the major option screens to set any particular items you know need changing. These might include that designation of the PCIe video card, the choice of what device to boot from, any custom fan settings, etc. Once you have all those right, again go through Exit Menu to SAVE and REBOOT.

This processor doesn't have a on board graphics chip. I am unsure if this is useful information but just in case the Caps lock/Num lock/Scroll lock work perfectly fine right when I press the power button, but then after a few seconds It freezes to whatever state I had it on before freezing. Could there be a chance I corrupted the BIOS somehow

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ah, in checking the manual I noted you can set the default graphics output system, but failed to note this board does NOT have its own GPU chip - it can work with integrated graphics in the CPU, which you do not have.

By the way, the behaviour you describe for your mobo Caps Lock etc. lights is normal - the POST process for these indicator lights would be to turn them on briefly to verify they work then turn them off and wait for the main system to issue further instructions AFTER the POST process is finished. The fact they do not turn back on, even if you press a key on the keyboard, indicates the main system is NOT working normally. Consistent with the many other symptoms of not working.

Does this board have a small "beeper" so that you can bear beep codes during the POST start-up process? If NO, then this comment won't help. But if it DOES, what you hear is some info. The normal pattern is that there is one beep immediately after you push the power button, then a pause as the POST process runs. IF there are any problems / errors in that you get several beeps that are codes for the problem area. If NO problems, the POST finishes by putting out ONE beep to indicate completion error-free. But of course, if you never had any beeps before, you likely do NOT have a beeper unit plugged into the right spot on your mobo and will not hear any now.

The only thing I can suggest right now is this. Remove the graphics card completely. Remove the RAM module and re-install it to be sure it is secure in its socket. Unplug the keyboard and mouse. DIS connect all hard drives and SSD's. With the whole system unplugged form the wall, again remove the CMOS battery, move the Reset jumper to short out the Reset pins for at least 10 - 15 sec, then un-short them and replace that jumper on the "storage" position. Now plug back into the wall and push the power button. The system should show some signs of life with fans starting fast, and MAYBE an indicator light or two on the mobo if it has any. IF your system has a beeper you will hear some signals. But of course it will NOT be able to complete the BIOS POST, and it will NOT show you any video.

Next, shut the system down and unplug from the wall. Re-install the video card and connect to that the cable to your monitor. Plug in and turn on, and watch again. IF things are working you should see activity and some messages on your monitor, ending n messages that there is no keyboard and no bootable media to boot from. If you get that, you have made real progress! If not, you may need to take to a shop.

IF you have a monitor display by this point, you can shut down. Re-connect your only HDD and your keyboard, then reboot and watch what messages that generates.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I tried that and it didn't seem to work, I am thinking of buying a new motherboard, can you recommend me a good one around 65$ or ₹5400?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's been a long time sonce I bought a mobo, so I don't think I can make a useful recommendation. You might try this. List out what you want to do with the machine, what parts you have already that you would like to keep, and what your budget is. Post this as a new thread asking for advice. Maybe specify which country you are in or where you can buy things. You will probably get lots of advice - enough to make it hard to choose.

Reactions: jm1302
Solution
May 6, 2023
Bought a MSI PRO H410M-B and installed it in my brother's pc and it came back to life, so the issue was with the motherboard, cant say what exactly but I'm just glad its fixed and working again.