[SOLVED] Fans still running after shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2020
Hi, I’m really confused and hoping someone can help.

I bought a new PC recently, and in the last couple days whenever I shut it down, all the fans start up and run indefinitely, until I disconnect it from the power. I will detail the full setup below....can’t find anything online and I’m really hoping someone can help!

Thanks in advance.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 - 12-Core 3.10GHz, 4.30GHz Turbo - 64MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H45 High Performance Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator, Extreme OC Compatible (Corsair CPU Water Cooling, Extreme OC Compatible)
HDD: 1TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)
M2SSD: 512GB (1x512GB) Intel 660p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD - 1500MB/s Read & 1000MB/s Write (Single Drive)
MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory [+14] (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX: ATX w/ USB 3.1, SATA3, 1x M.2 [+22]
NETWORK: ONBOARD
POWERSUPPLY: Corsair VS650 650W 80+ Certified Gaming Power Supply [+5]
VIDEO: ASUS GeForce(R) RTX 2070 8GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12(R), VR Ready, HDMI, DP, 4 Monitor Support [+82] (Single
WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 2 Year Parts, 6 Month Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support
WNC: TP-Link TL-WN881ND N300 Wireless PCI Express Adapter

Solution
Thanks. I did the whole hold down power for 30 seconds and try and reboot that way, but hasn't worked. I've just reset my BIOS back to default and updated drivers etc but its still doing it.
The max i've left it for is about 5 minutes but it appears to just go indefinately and then i turn it off at the power because it pisses me off.

I am going to reset windows back to default completely, i only bought the PC last week so not much on here yet, so hopefully that will help. It didn't do it when i first had the PC so i wonder if there's something i've downloaded which is causing issues

Hello again TJHunt!

As the guidelines of the site suggest profanity is not allowed on this website but I'm sure you didn't know that!

Yeah it...
Mar 29, 2020
Hello my friend, I am a common forum lurker so I've had to make an account to hopefully help you but I once had this problem, can you explain this issue in a bit more detail for me, I'd love to be able to help TJHunt! 🆒

Mar 28, 2020
Hello my friend, I am a common forum lurker so I've had to make an account to hopefully help you but I once had this problem, can you explain this issue in a bit more detail for me, I'd love to be able to help TJHunt! 🆒

Hi Aaron, thanks for replying. I'm fairly new to all this so i can't really go into too much detail!! Simply put, I shut down the PC using the standard method, everything powers off for a second, and then the fans all fire up, and are fairly loud. The PC is swtiched off, monitor not getting signal through, keyboard and mouse lights are off and won't respond when i press anything, so its definitely not in sleep mode.

The only way the fans go off is if i disconnect the power cable or turn it off at the mains.

Any ideas!?

Mar 29, 2020
Hi Aaron, thanks for replying. I'm fairly new to all this so i can't really go into too much detail!! Simply put, I shut down the PC using the standard method, everything powers off for a second, and then the fans all fire up, and are fairly loud. The PC is swtiched off, monitor not getting signal through, keyboard and mouse lights are off and won't respond when i press anything, so its definitely not in sleep mode.

The only way the fans go off is if i disconnect the power cable or turn it off at the mains.

Any ideas!?

Greetings TJHunt
I know it sounds silly (hahaha) but ofc you have done the basic things such as hold the power button while it completely turns off right?
With the latest windows updates as of 2017 - around the time Windows pushed out the 'Creators update' to any PC using windows 10 Your PC does actually go into a state of sleep mode which is sometimes why when you load up Chrome for the first time In a day it's like you never closed it the night before even though you have those settings turned off but it is still quite peculiar that your fans are still spinning, Does it do it for a long duration after the PC has turned off or does it stop after a few Mins?

Mar 28, 2020
Greetings TJHunt
I know it sounds silly (hahaha) but ofc you have done the basic things such as hold the power button while it completely turns off right?
With the latest windows updates as of 2017 - around the time Windows pushed out the 'Creators update' to any PC using windows 10 Your PC does actually go into a state of sleep mode which is sometimes why when you load up Chrome for the first time In a day it's like you never closed it the night before even though you have those settings turned off but it is still quite peculiar that your fans are still spinning, Does it do it for a long duration after the PC has turned off or does it stop after a few Mins?

Thanks. I did the whole hold down power for 30 seconds and try and reboot that way, but hasn't worked. I've just reset my BIOS back to default and updated drivers etc but its still doing it.
The max i've left it for is about 5 minutes but it appears to just go indefinately and then i turn it off at the power because it pisses me off.

I am going to reset windows back to default completely, i only bought the PC last week so not much on here yet, so hopefully that will help. It didn't do it when i first had the PC so i wonder if there's something i've downloaded which is causing issues

Mar 29, 2020

Hello again TJHunt!

As the guidelines of the site suggest profanity is not allowed on this website but I'm sure you didn't know that!

Yeah it could be an issue with a driver update you could of done recently, there often is issues relating to this type of problem when you do some NVIDIA updates!

Resetting windows most likely won't do anything as you would still have to be up to date with drivers, More often than not people with this issue do just turn it off by the wall but that shouldn't even be a necessity, sounds like your fan has a life of its own, short term you shouldn't be so worried about this but may I quickly ask before we get to the bottom of this issue if it is

A - All of the fans still operating
B - The Fans from the GPU
C - The cooling fans (such as front and back of the case)

May I also ask what sort of things have you been downloading, Games, Editing software etc?

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.