Question Far Cry 1 and Windows 11 issues

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I am trying to install Far Cry 1, original cd version and am running into issues. I got the game installed but when I try to open it, one of two things happen. Either I get the message saying login with admin privileges or nothing happens at all when I double click the desktop shortcut.

Only have one account and it is a local admin account. I have tried all the different compatibility settings, windows 95 through windows 8 and no difference. Tried installing the game on 2 different drives with no change. Turned off antivirus with no change. Tried registering the game but when I click ok on register now, nothing happens.

Seen someone saying something about needing the secdrv.sys driver. But when I tried to enable that in cmd prompt, it says can't be loaded.

The patch should do everything automatically as long as it can find the game files, if it executed without warnings it did its job.

Did you try right click on the main game exe and run as admin?!
Since it tells you to login as admin.

Also you need visual c 7.10 installed or at least two files msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll in the same folder as the game .exe

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
The patch should do everything automatically as long as it can find the game files, if it executed without warnings it did its job.

Also you need visual c 7.10 installed or at least two files msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll in the same folder as the game .exe

The patch seemed to install fine, install location was where the game is installed.

Yes I did right click and run as admin. I also checked the box to run as admin on the compatibility tab of the properties.

I will check on those files you mentioned.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017

I did not find anything about msv or visual in the game folder. Would visual c7.10 be in that same folder or is that something different? If its different, how do I check that?

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
right, just noticed you mentioning secdrv.sys, thats safedisc drm, which isnt really supported by microsoft anymore (security reasons)

you could probably use nocd/dvd crack (at your own risk)
or get copy from uplay/steam
on gog its on sale now
https://www.gog.com/en/game/far_cry

After a search, I found a place that says how to enable that through cmd prompt but it failed to start.

I realize probably be much less headache if I just bought it again but was trying to avoid that since I already have the game.

Something else, not sure if this is related to my problem. When I went through the installation process, it did not ask me for the 20 digit key.