[SOLVED] Far Cry 5

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Sometimes during Far Cry 5 my FPS drops from 85-100 average to 60-75 or 45-60...It can stay there until i close the game or it can be fixed automatically sometimes.

Usually happens after i played for like 2 hours in a row.It seems that my PC's Performance goes worse over time but during other games like GTA V, Witcher 3 etc it doesn't happen...It's not FPS Spikes/Drops...When it goes down there,it stays there so my FPS are steady but it's annoying...

High Settings 1080p (not Ultra)

Ryzen 5 2600X not OC
1660Ti Gaming X not OC
2x8GB 2133Mhz G.Skill RipJaws (disabled XMP Profile)
EVGA 550W G3
Samsung 970 Evo Plus and Crucial MX500
B450 Aorus Pro
Windows 10 Pro updated to 1903 version i think (19-something).

Of course no temp issues.
1660Ti Max 64 degrees Celsius on 99% usage.
2600X Max 55-58 Degrees Celsius during Gaming.Usually below 50 Overall.
VRAM Usage: 2.6GB out of 6GB.
RAM Usage: I think around 7.5-8GB.

Solution
Try switch ram around. XMP should work. Try update bios, clear cmos and load bios defaults.

Could try enter timings and voltage yourself.

See dram timing control page and see which fields XMP changes. Take note of which and apply those exact numbers under manual mode. Don't forget dram voltage 1.35v. Try 2933MHz as well.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might want to have a look at Window's pagefile usage and potentially limit it, if it's growing over time. Look at committed size in task manager to see size. Pagefile is always in use, games dumping unused data there for next time, often growing with some games. Might explain the time period when this happens.

How much space is left in the OS drive? Limited space can cause problems if pf keeps growing.

Reactions: RodroX and DeanTH23

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Ι will check your first recommendation when i get the chance.Thank you

The OS Drive it's almost empty...Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB and i have only installed the OS,Dota 2 and some other programms like Rockstar Launcher, Logitech G Hub etc so at least a 70-75% it's empty.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I've played fc5 a lot and with 16GB ram before having 32GB and didn't have this problem. This was on Win7 though. Recently upgraded to Win10 but haven't replayed fc5 yet. Couldn't say for sure the pf is the problem and since your main drive is nowhere near full, i don't think it is. Check anyway though.

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Hi,

....2x8GB 2133Mhz G.Skill RipJaws (disabled XMP Profile) , is your RAM set to dual channel? and Why do you have the xmp profile disable?, Did you encounter any problem if you enable it?

Cheers
Yeah with XMP on,the PC Crashed multiple times during Heavy Gaming.(BSODs and Crashes)...Without XMP enabled never crashed.
This FPS issue occurs with or without XMP enabled tho.
And yes it's dual channel
I didn't mentioned it because the FPS issue occurs only during Far Cry 5 so i don't think that it's CPU-RAM related.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
As Rodrox pointed out, ram not able to run in XMP to gain the extra performance faster memory has for Ryzen is going to hurt. FC5 is quite cpu/gpu intensive so wouldn't be surprised memory speed / and or memory stability is showing performance problems in this game. Maybe the other games aren't as demanding on memory?

I think try get XMP problems sorted first. Not just because of FC5, but Ryzen benefits faster ram all round.

When was the last time Bios was updated? The kit of ram might not be suitable for your motherboard too. If Bios update doesn't addresse ram issues, it could be a dodgy kit. Is all ram accounted for in the Bios?

Reactions: RodroX
As Rodrox pointed out, ram not able to run in XMP to gain the extra performance faster memory has for Ryzen is going to hurt. FC5 is quite cpu/gpu intensive so wouldn't be surprised memory speed / and or memory stability is showing performance problems in this game. Maybe the other games aren't as demanding on memory?

I think try get XMP problems sorted first. Not just because of FC5, but Ryzen benefits faster ram all round.

When was the last time bios was updated? The kit of ram might not be suitable for your motherboard too. If Bios update doesn't addresse ram issues, it could be a dodgy kit. Is all ram accounted for in the Bios?

I was about to write the same! I would try to find out which of the sticks of RAM is faulty, and even when its not recommended, I would try to run the game with only the the one "good" RAM stick, with XMP OFF and then ON.

1. So try to find out which RAM stick is faulty (memtest is the best tool for it).
  2. Remove the faulty stick.
  3. Try and play FC5 with only the good stick of RAM, if it works without issues, then enable XMP profile for that stick and play again. If everything its fine then it was the faulty stick that was causing the problem.

I think its worth trying it!

Cheers

Reactions: boju

DeanTH23

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
I did memtest and unfortunately showed that everything is fine.
I also checked drives,fresh installed drivers,formatted the entire system,Fresh installed Windows 10 etc nothing worked except disabling XMP

BIOS from July 2019 and RAMs are compatible with the mobo

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try switch ram around. XMP should work. Try update bios, clear cmos and load bios defaults.

Could try enter timings and voltage yourself.

See dram timing control page and see which fields XMP changes. Take note of which and apply those exact numbers under manual mode. Don't forget dram voltage 1.35v. Try 2933MHz as well.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution