News Far Cry 6's PC System Requirements Are Brutal for Ultra Quality Gaming

In the article it says only 60 GB of storage.
One thing about the Far Cry 6 storage req: 60 GB (SSD recommended), 37 GB for optional HD textures.
So that means about 97 GB in total if I'm correct.

And that make sense if one compare the storage needed for Far Cry 5: on my SSD it takes up about 68GB (I just checked).
A new Far Cry game with a new story, new or updated graphics engine and more graphic intense, will of course take up more space than the old one.

Last edited:

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
If this is any indication for the next generation of games, yikes, the graphics card shortage will be eternal, or AAA gaming will slow down.

I dunno, looking at the steam statistics the vast majority of people seem to be using 1060's, meaning the past few years people have played all the AAA titles on that level of GPU. Seems like we are just seeing the beginnings of a new generation of quality in graphics which is exciting. Hopefully the look of it justifies the performance hit though... I gotta say AC:Valhalla doesn't really look any better than the past few of those titles but is runs even worse. Cyberpunk however looks fantastic maxed out, and seems to justify its tax on the GPU. Thank the gods for DLSS and FSR though!!

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
If this is any indication for the next generation of games, yikes, the graphics card shortage will be eternal, or AAA gaming will slow down.
Sadly, AAA gaming has been slow downed on PCs for atleast last 10 years or more. Developers are more interested in making and tuning games for crappy Consoles hardware and THEN creating bad ports for PCs.

scottsoapbox

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Depends on your monitor resolution. For instance, my ultrawide monitor is wider 1440p which isn't quite as demanding as 4K. And according to the steam survey, many people are still using 20 year old 1080p monitors so their 10 year old GPU doesn't hold them back that much.

deanimate

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Don't think my i7-2600k + 970 will be doing too hot with this. Although I did get through FC5 pretty well so maybe a chance

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
One thing about the Far Cry 6 storage req: 60 GB (SSD recommended), 37 GB for optional HD textures.
I like this. Some people may want (or need) less space for the game, and giving them a choice is very important. I still remember back then when some installs asked you if you wanted a minimal setup (10MB, CD needed) or full setup (500MB, no CD needed), for example. Nowadays, with high-performance SSDs costing a good amount, it's not unexpected for people to buy smaller drives.

Reactions: Flyfisherman
In the article it says only 60 GB of storage.

And that make sense if one compare the storage needed for Far Cry 5: on my SSD it takes up about 68GB (I just checked).
A new Far Cry game with a new story, new or updated graphics engine and more graphic intense, will of course take up more space than the old one.
Hm... Should i read between the lines then that, for 1440p, the 8GB VRAM is with the "normal" textures? So if you were to use the HQ textures, then the VRAM requirement would jump a lot, no?

Regards.

Hm... Should i read between the lines then that, for 1440p, the 8GB VRAM is with the "normal" textures? So if you were to use the HQ textures, then the VRAM requirement would jump a lot, no?

Regards.
Well as I said it, "if I'm correct".
Now, with 1440 Far Cry 5 on Ultra settings on my rig, it really does,t even bothers me at > 120 Fps
Even with Far Cry 4 you had the choice to install HD textures as with Far Cry 5.
These days it just means more eye candy and more resource requirements.

But, if it will gain heavier graphics experience on my rig, of course I will install it.

I'm glad that one has the choice, compared with Call Of Duty where one has to load the ridiculous shader for ever, in which however does nothing to the game experience.

In my case, I will have install the HD-pack to be able to use my rig at the full extent.

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT OC 16GB
Extended monitor setup: Gigabyte AORUS-FI27Q27" 2560x1440 @165Hz, Philips IPS 24" 1920x1080 @60Hz
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
SAM: Enabled and fully functional.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
Ram: 16GB @3200 MHz
CPU Cooler: NH-D15-Se AM4
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Samsumg 950 Pro 1 TB
Temp: overall 36C deg.

Last edited:

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Nothing out of the blue for 4K requirements. All the GPUs including RTX3090 are struggling when it comes to ray tracing. Without DLSS, it can barely hit 60fps.