Fast Internet and ok router struggles to load comments

shordinges

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
A few months back I replaced my old Belkin N750 (would drop all WIFI connections for a few minutes when a device turned on and connected) with a new D-Link DIR-859 AC1750. All I demand of my network is stream Netflix to one device, online schooling, and facebook. Nothing like gaming, servers, or heavy usage, so I didnt feel like I needed to go all out with a high performance router.

My internet connection to the house is Fiber Optic advertised 100 MB/s. My PC with an LAN cable speed tests at 125 MB/s, WLAN download is 50 MB/s. So my internet is plenty fast.

My problem is with loading comments on Facebook, you tube, drop down menus, refreshing pages... on every device. Iphones, android tablets, PCs, Sometimes the comment pages never load or take up to 5 minutes to load. I have the ability to stream 4K but I cant load text. I also run into the problem of devices trying to load youtube videos and they never play.

What do I need to try to fix this issue? My wife has a hard time participating in her online schooling trying to read comment sections and (I dont really care) pinterest page loading.

Solution
As stated above, change the DNS in your PC connection settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google DNS and see if it helps. If not then report back and we will look into it further.

To change the DNS in Windows do the following:
Go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center (click the blue words at the top that says "view by" and select big or small icons)
from here, on the left hand side of the page click "Change Adapter Settings"
Then right click the ethernet adapter you use for connecting to the internet and select "Properties"
Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and then continue with changing the DNS in the following window that pops up.

For mobile devices like android it will already be set to the Google DNS. For iOS...
I am assuming you get good speedtest results ? What happens if you leave a continuous ping run to 8.8.8.8. Do you see large amounts of packet loss.

If there is no other problem I would suspect a DNS issue but this is only a guess. You could try to set the DNS manually in your pc to 8.8.8.8. The default configuration is to use your router as a proxy dns server and the actual dns server is your ISP. ISP DNS are not always that stable and the proxy function in a routers have had bugs in the past.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
As stated above, change the DNS in your PC connection settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for Google DNS and see if it helps. If not then report back and we will look into it further.

To change the DNS in Windows do the following:
Go to Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center (click the blue words at the top that says "view by" and select big or small icons)
from here, on the left hand side of the page click "Change Adapter Settings"
Then right click the ethernet adapter you use for connecting to the internet and select "Properties"
Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and then continue with changing the DNS in the following window that pops up.

For mobile devices like android it will already be set to the Google DNS. For iOS devices you will need to go to your WiFi page in settings and change the connection information. I don't know specifically what to do in iOS but I know that it's fairly easy and straight forward and you can google a how-to for it.

As for changing DNS in your router:
Log into your router and head over to the settings page. then proceed to internet page if you have to and you should see a spot for inputting a DNS server address. Put in the Google DNS address and save the changes, then reboot the router and see if it helps.

Solution

shordinges

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015

Speedtest was good, ping was 12ms and download speed was 123.29 Mbps. Continuous ping was using CMD was average 10ms with no dropped packets. I used Performance Ping and averaged 12ms with the highest of 30ms and no packet loss.

Currently all devices are loading fine, the next time it happens I will run the ping tests again