Question Fast speedtest slow launcher download

Jan 8, 2020
Hello guys I've been experiencing issues for the last couple of months with my download speed , some launchers especially Battle.net only give me around 10mb a second while I test 900mbps on speedtest , and it's not the servers because my friend with the same provider gets 100mb a second at the same time . I spoke to the provider and they claim they don't limit me , also tried different ethernet cables. Please help

PC Specs : CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
RAM: Corsair LPX 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz C16 DDR4 DRAM Memory Kit, Black (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16)
GPU : MSI Ventus RTX 2080 OC Edition
Drives: M.2 SSD / Normal SSD / HDD
Mobo:ASUS Prime X470-Pro

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What other launchers? Steam for example? See what your friend has it set to for download region.

In regards to battle net, have you checked it's settings?

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/43662

If speedtest is showing full speed it couldn't be anything else but the servers and or settings in the application. Maybe firewalls/ programs used to filter incoming traffic maybe.

Can you use another computer (is friend close to visit?) to test your internet connection or vice versa?

Jan 8, 2020
What other launchers? Steam for example? See what your friend has it set to for download region.

In regards to battle net, have you checked it's settings?

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/43662

If speedtest is showing full speed it couldn't be anything else but the servers and or settings in the application. Maybe firewalls/ programs used to filter incoming traffic maybe.

Can you use another computer (is friend close to visit?) to test your internet connection or vice versa?
I don't have another computer but when I try to use wifi (I have a decent router) I also get slow downloads like 5mb/s being 1 cm away from the router with my phone (changed router today didn't help) Regarding Settings and servers on battle.net all the same with my friend and not too much you can change there . Tried turning off both firewall and Windows defender to no change whatsoever .

The weird thing is once every like 5 hours I get 90 + mb/s for a couple of minutes and it goes down again , happened with the previous router and this one as well

Ralston18

Titan
Are you sure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled? Not both adapters (or even more) at a time?

Check any power saver settings. Disable all (temporarily) to determine if the problem ends.

How constant is that 5 hour "burst of speed"?

Make and model routers? The router's admin logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

I don't have another computer but when I try to use wifi (I have a decent router) I also get slow downloads like 5mb/s being 1 cm away from the router with my phone (changed router today didn't help) Regarding Settings and servers on battle.net all the same with my friend and not too much you can change there . Tried turning off both firewall and Windows defender to no change whatsoever .

The weird thing is once every like 5 hours I get 90 + mb/s for a couple of minutes and it goes down again , happened with the previous router and this one as well

Your wifi is a separate issue.

When dealing with torrent like downloads or cloud providers, your download rate can sometimes be limited to which server you connect to. You maybe bottlenecked that way.

I never used battle.net, but is it possible there's a setting which limits download bandwidth? I know there is for Occulus store, Valve's-steam, and Ubisoft's UPlay.

Speedtest is actually a filedown load and upload it just does not save the file. I would try to download something like a windows 10 image from microsoft. It will take long enough even at high speed you can see the transfer rates in the resource monitor network tab.

You need to find out if it is only battlenet. If it is only battlenet then there could be some limitation between your ISP and blizzards network. Can't fix things like that other than changing ISP.

Key is see if you can figure out what is common between things that are being limited.

Check that you do not have any form of "gamer" network acceleration software. Asus bundles this on some of their motherboards and it causes all kinds of strange issues.

Normally when there is not another PC the best test is to try to boot a linux USB image. This will quickly show if it is a windows issue. Problem is I don't know how much efford or if it even possible to run battlenet on linux. Although you can do somethings the USB linux images are designed to not touch your hard drive so it gets a little more tricky to install software.

Jan 8, 2020
Are you sure that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled? Not both adapters (or even more) at a time?

Check any power saver settings. Disable all (temporarily) to determine if the problem ends.

How constant is that 5 hour "burst of speed"?

Make and model routers? The router's admin logs (if available and enabled) may provide some clue.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.
Router model is Technicolor DGA2232

I had 2 adapters enabled one was a vpn disabled it and nothing changed .

Tried power settings didn't change anything either .

I honestly can't tell how long it is but when I do decide to check it and it works I always manage to download about 30-45 GB at like 90-95mb/s and then it goes back to being slow .

These are the ipconfig results and I also attached the router logs , It basically has all logs from earlier today when I swapped router up until now and also I had that speed boost about 1 hour in with the new router so look if you can see something in the logs , thanks a bunch !

Untitled.png

That's the log txt

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Getting a 404 (Page not found) error on the router log.

Does the following Router manual link show your router? 2231 not 2232....

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/ef0a9980/files/uploaded/Manual Technicolor DGA2231.pdf

Do you know if your ISP provides IPv6 service? If not try disabling IPv6 on the network adapter.

On your router reset the lease time to a week or so. The current setting is a strange 14 hours or so.....

Also run and post the results of "tracert 8.8.4.4"

Jan 8, 2020
Getting a 404 (Page not found) error on the router log.

Does the following Router manual link show your router? 2231 not 2232....

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/ef0a9980/files/uploaded/Manual Technicolor DGA2231.pdf

Do you know if your ISP provides IPv6 service? If not try disabling IPv6 on the network adapter.

On your router reset the lease time to a week or so. The current setting is a strange 14 hours or so.....

Also run and post the results of "tracert 8.8.4.4"
It is the same router but mine's branded differently but It's the same .

Tried disabling ipv6 nothing changed .

No clue how to reset the lease .

image.png

Ralston18

Titan
From the log:

"Mon Oct 26 16:55:00 2020 user.err lua: [thermalProtection] error temp1_file paths for thermal chips"

Errors start around 15:05:46

Heat related problem perhaps. Cool down the router.

Try putting the router in a cooler place with more airflow.

Determine if the performance improves or otherwise changes.

Continue to watch the log for the thermal protection error. When in the timeline the error reappears. May be a clue.

Someone else following your post may provide other ideas and comment. No problem with that.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Jan 8, 2020
Speedtest is actually a filedown load and upload it just does not save the file. I would try to download something like a windows 10 image from microsoft. It will take long enough even at high speed you can see the transfer rates in the resource monitor network tab.

You need to find out if it is only battlenet. If it is only battlenet then there could be some limitation between your ISP and blizzards network. Can't fix things like that other than changing ISP.

Key is see if you can figure out what is common between things that are being limited.

Check that you do not have any form of "gamer" network acceleration software. Asus bundles this on some of their motherboards and it causes all kinds of strange issues.

Normally when there is not another PC the best test is to try to boot a linux USB image. This will quickly show if it is a windows issue. Problem is I don't know how much efford or if it even possible to run battlenet on linux. Although you can do somethings the USB linux images are designed to not touch your hard drive so it gets a little more tricky to install software.
Friend has exactly the same isp and gets 100 download , no software either
Your wifi is a separate issue.

When dealing with torrent like downloads or cloud providers, your download rate can sometimes be limited to which server you connect to. You maybe bottlenecked that way.

I never used battle.net, but is it possible there's a setting which limits download bandwidth? I know there is for Occulus store, Valve's-steam, and Ubisoft's UPlay.
Download is Uncapped

Jan 8, 2020
From the log:

"Mon Oct 26 16:55:00 2020 user.err lua: [thermalProtection] error temp1_file paths for thermal chips"

Errors start around 15:05:46

Heat related problem perhaps. Cool down the router.

Try putting the router in a cooler place with more airflow.

Determine if the performance improves or otherwise changes.

Continue to watch the log for the thermal protection error. When in the timeline the error reappears. May be a clue.

Someone else following your post may provide other ideas and comment. No problem with that.
Last router I had was at least 3-4 times hotter then this one , I really doubt it's heating issues the one I have now doesn't get hot at all

Ralston18

Titan
Not doubting that per se.

Some devices in many technologies can and do run hotter or cooler even if functionally identical. And that also applies to devices within a manufacture's product lines and even specific models.

Matter of design, materials, manufacturing QA, etc..

I.e., a very hot component that is or becomes too "locally" hot to function but not hot enough to make the entire router hotter.

That said the logs are recording some thermal error. I do not know at what level that error is occurring at beyond the mention of thermal chips.

Key is to identify the reason for that error and (in all fairness) eliminate it as the cause of slow downloads.

Another thought: are you connecting a telephone directly to the router?

Or are you using a splitter or filter located on the incoming DSL line to split the signal between the router and the telephone?

E.g.:

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000379748-Filters-and-Splitters

The splitter or it's associated cables could be the problem or a contributing factor.

Jan 8, 2020
Not doubting that per se.

Some devices in many technologies can and do run hotter or cooler even if functionally identical. And that also applies to devices within a manufacture's product lines and even specific models.

Matter of design, materials, manufacturing QA, etc..

I.e., a very hot component that is or becomes too "locally" hot to function but not hot enough to make the entire router hotter.

That said the logs are recording some thermal error. I do not know at what level that error is occurring at beyond the mention of thermal chips.

Key is to identify the reason for that error and (in all fairness) eliminate it as the cause of slow downloads.

Another thought: are you connecting a telephone directly to the router?

Or are you using a splitter or filter located on the incoming DSL line to split the signal between the router and the telephone?

E.g.:

https://help.sonic.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000379748-Filters-and-Splitters

The splitter or it's associated cables could be the problem or a contributing factor.
No splitters nothing to interfere etherenet cable from router to pc
nothing else , I'll also try to put the router under the ac to see if anything happens