Question Fast sync vs G-sync input lag

• Thread starter Deleted member 2686303
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2686303

Before anything I want to establish that I know these two are not directly competing technologies. Fast sync is meant to handle screen tearing beyond the refresh rate of the monitor while G-sync accomplishes the same when the fps goes under that. So to my dilemma. I play games on a monitor with the max refresh rate of 120hz and it has G-sync (ultimate). Now as far as I have understood I don't want to play my games at 120 fps since the V-sync would kick in and add input lag. I have heard a common technique to mitigate this is to limit the fps below the screens maximum refresh rate, so in my case that would be 119 to reduce the input lag with G-sync. But then there is fast sync and I thought would it be better to run the game at 121 fps with fast sync on. I could not find any reviews, videos or discussion pitting these two against each other directly hence this post. The reason this isn't discussed is probably that the two could be used together if the fps was running wild, like anywhere from 100 to 200. But I don't do that, I rather pick visuals I like to a point the frame rate of my choosing allows and I leave some headroom so the number I am aiming for is stable, rock solid, won't budge, you get the point. And before anyone suggests I don't want my fps running rampant over what my monitor can display even if it would bring the input lag down even further. I want some tear free solution.

In short: Which is superior in terms of the input lag (or overall)? 119 fps with G-sync or 121 fps with fast sync?

D

Deleted member 2686303

we're talking 2fps here....a 1.5% difference.
Oh yeah, apparently I forgot to add to my original post that I know math. Yes, I know the difference is probably going to be marginal, but I would still like an answer and some numbers to back it up if at all possible.