[SOLVED] Fast Wifi but slow Ethernet

bheemarocks

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
Hi, I have a PC that is Ethernet only that I have connected through a powerline adapter. This powerline adapter was originally used to connect my DVD player to the internet and was working great so I know it works fine. I had also used another adapter for this commuter beforehand and was getting the same speeds. The issue is, I am getting only about 5 mbps on the PC while on my phone I can get around 40mbps. This makes downloading anything very annoying and I would love to hear any potential fixes for this. Thanks!

Solution
Which model of powerline adapters do you have? The performance of powerline is very specific to your house. Be sure that the adapters are plugged directly into the wall outlet on both ends. Your powerline performance could be impacted by anything else plugged into your outlets. You could try unplugging any wall chargers or other transformers to see if they are generating noise in the electrical system.

If your powerline adapters are not the current generation AV2 MIMO devices, you might get improvement by replacing your existing powerline adapters with newer models.

kanewolf

Titan
Which model of powerline adapters do you have? The performance of powerline is very specific to your house. Be sure that the adapters are plugged directly into the wall outlet on both ends. Your powerline performance could be impacted by anything else plugged into your outlets. You could try unplugging any wall chargers or other transformers to see if they are generating noise in the electrical system.

If your powerline adapters are not the current generation AV2 MIMO devices, you might get improvement by replacing your existing powerline adapters with newer models.

Solution