Faster boot time?

kempiedempie

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Hello guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to get a faster boot time, like less than 20 seconds or something..

Is that possible? If so, how?

(I already have an SSD and my pc runs on W10)

Solution
Don't change the setting to Uefi in the BIOS as your pc will not boot. You need to do a fresh windows install in uefi mode if you want faster boot times.

Geekwad

Admirable
Which SSD do you have specifically? There are read/write performance differences between SSDs, so not all are the same. After that CPU power will make a difference too.

You may want to look at your start-up programs though as well, as 'high' impact startup programs can be delayed, which gets you to your desktop more quickly.

kempiedempie

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
i have the Crucial MX100 256GB, I already disabled any high impact programs, I have 1 dvd drive and 1 other HDD. A friend of mine showed me a video once of his pc booting up in like 5 seconds.. I'd like that but I don't know if it's possible..

USAFRet

Titan

Boot time is also contingent on where this starts timing from.
Actual power button push?
Or after the BIOS finishes?

5 seconds power button cold start is almost certainly not real. Or at best, under a benchmark system built to do only that.

kempiedempie

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I looked around in my bios a little bit and i found a few things, first off when I pressed F11 I got a little screenwhere I could where to boot from, for some reason it was already selected on my HDD, I changed it to my SSD but got no difference, but I think it always booted from SSD already. The other thing i found was that i could change my 'Boot mode', now it was on '[LEGACY+EUFI]' and i could change it to [EUFI]' (so without legacy) I didn't do it yet because i don't want to change anything without knowing what it is. So should I change to EUFI alone?

Before switching to UEFI you need to make sure your drive is formatted as GPT.
FYI if you had windows 7 on it and then switched to windows 10 then most likely it is MBR and not GPT.

Go to disk manager (click start menu button and type diskmngmt.msc). From there find your C drive and on the far left it should say if it is MBR or GPT.

If your disk is MBR then you can just strop right there. While there is ways to convert MBR to GPT it is complicated and risky. Best thing is to just switch when you have to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the computer.

2CPT1_MP

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
1. Do a fresh install of Windows in UEFI mode
2. Choose to boot only "SSD" in BIOS
3. Set "delay after POST" to 0 if possible
4. Disable PS/2 support if your keyboard is connected via USB
5. Update your BIOS
6. Disable all unneeded services
7. Disable all unneeded apps on boot
8. Disable Backup
9. Select "High Performance" Power Plan
10. Use Utillities pack like Advanced System Care from IObit etc
11. Disable Indexing, Superfetch, Prefetcher, etc.