[SOLVED] Faster RAM Helps Performance?

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I am considering getting 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM. Will that improve performance, or is there another bottleneck in my system that would make that over-kill?

My set-up:

RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM (pc3200, 25600 speed)
MOBO - MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
CPU - i7 11700k
GPU - NVDA GTX 1050 Ti

Solution
Simple answer is, yes, but you're going to have to get a beefier GPU to notice that bump in performance while gaming. As for the rams for your build, you should look at 3600Mhz at the very least or higher. If you're able to afford tighter timing rams at higher frequencies, then go for it.

Make and model of your PSU? That GPU is the limitation in your otherwise high-end build.

Lutfij

Titan
Simple answer is, yes, but you're going to have to get a beefier GPU to notice that bump in performance while gaming. As for the rams for your build, you should look at 3600Mhz at the very least or higher. If you're able to afford tighter timing rams at higher frequencies, then go for it.

Make and model of your PSU? That GPU is the limitation in your otherwise high-end build.

Reactions: Vic 40
Solution

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, my higher end GPU crashed. I don't game much but I do render large 4k videos and work with large instrument VST's that need to read hundreds of note samples quickly.

Is OC'ing my current RAM to 3200MHz just as good as buying the 3200MHz RAM?

Btw, just saw Intel says fastest RAM is 3200MHz.

Actually, I get 3000MHz with XMP.

Last edited:
I am considering getting 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM. Will that improve performance, or is there another bottleneck in my system that would make that over-kill?

My set-up:

RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM (pc3200, 25600 speed)
MOBO - MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
CPU - i7 11700k
GPU - NVDA GTX 1050 Ti
How many sticks of ram are you using and what speed is it running at?

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
I have 4 stick of 8GB. As I stated, I just realized I can OC to 3000MHz. I'm not sure if it's ok to OC 3200MHz higher, as Intel says 3200MHz base frequency is the limit. If I can't, then clearly I'll stay with what I have. If I can, could be worth considering it seems.

I have 4 stick of 8GB. As I stated, I just realized I can OC to 3000MHz. I'm not sure if it's ok to OC 3200MHz higher, as Intel says 3200MHz base frequency is the limit. If I can't, then clearly I'll stay with what I have. If I can, could be worth considering it seems.
If the ram is stable at 3000 then test at 3200.
Which ever speed is stable I doubt you would see a big bump in perf going to 3600.

Endre

Reputable
Yeah, my higher end GPU crashed. I don't game much but I do render large 4k videos and work with large instrument VST's that need to read hundreds of note samples quickly.

Is OC'ing my current RAM to 3200MHz just as good as buying the 3200MHz RAM?

Btw, just saw Intel says fastest RAM is 3200MHz.

Actually, I get 3000MHz with XMP.

Hello!

Your specific workflow is pretty similar to mine:
I’m producing beats and mastering tracks in FL Studio, working with VSTs etc.

By my opinion, 32GB DDR4-3200 is enough.

In my case the biggest bottleneck wasn’t hardware related, but software related:
Some of my VSTs are 32-bit and they don’t take full advantage of my RAM.

PS:
Make sure your OS, DAW, VSTs and all the programs that you’re using are 64-bit.
(32-bit FL Studio 10 uses only 2GB RAM, and it can be extended to a maximum of 4GB RAM usage, which is very little).

Also, for video rendering I use Vegas Pro, which by default, uses only 200MB of RAM!
Fortunately, that can be increased to as much RAM your system has (I’ve set it to 16GB, half of what I have in my system: 32GB).

I hope these infos will help you even if you’re using different programs from the ones that I use.

Last edited: