Faster RAM or faster CPU?

revanchrist

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Hi everyone, got a question that's been puzzling me for a month now. I'm wondering whether a faster memory or a faster cpu has a greater impact on a computer's performance. To be specific, the comparison is between the following two setup:
(I've converted local price in my region into USD for easier comparison)

I5 4670K - $230
ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer - $147
Kingston Hyper-X Beast 2400Mhz CL11 2x4GB - $100
TOTAL - $477

I7 4770K - $337
ASRock Fatal1ty B85 Killer - $87
Kingston 1600Mhz CL9 2x4GB - $69
TOTAL - $493

Assuming the other parts for both setup is exactly the same, which one is a wiser purchase in terms of budget and performance?

I do intend to do some light and budget overclocking, that's why i'm choosing these two motherboard. My friend has an i5 4670K + B85 Killer which he is able to overclock to 4.8Ghz and running stable for two months now. I don't intend to do crossfire/sli due to budget constraint. The way i see it, the only advantage left of Z87 over B85 is its support for higher speed ram up for to around 3000Mhz. Since i do not do dual gpu and b85 is now capable of non-z oc(at least for this particular mobo), therefore the charm of z87 is diminishing. That's actually what puzzling me, to go with higher speed ram but at a heavy cost or to save up that money on a more powerful cpu. Any suggestion or explaination?

Thanks in advance. My first post! lol...

Exactly. Faster RAM is for extreme builds, bragging rights and professional rendering and video editing.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS