Fastest Browser Test...Surprising

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Timop

Distinguished
Chrome looks ugly IMO, I hate Operas element loading system, and IE is just bad.
FF with Strata4 is my daily browser, though Im gonna switch to 4 ASAP.

ares1214

Splendid
+10 on the opera element loading system, thats the biggest thing i dont like about it. IE...well IE is just horrid. Chrome can be altered a little bit to look better, and i like a stream lined look. Once FF 4 gets fully compatible with all the add ons, then ill give it a big shot, but until then, Maxthon 3 is for me i guess. Dont knock it till ya try it is i guess what im saying overall.

ares1214

Splendid
Wow...that was easy. New FF 4 convert! :lol: Ill alternate maybe...anybody recommend anything as far as addons for FF4? Im looking forward to when more are compatible with FF4.

RonWhite

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
The Truth about Maxthon

I may be able to straighten out some of the confusion in other comments:

OBJECTIVITY
Some commenters doubt the objectivity of the author. As far as I know, he has no connection with Maxthon International. And he's not the only person praising Maxthon's speed. A year ago, Lee Mathews of downloadsquad.com--working with a beta of Maxthon--found it to be faster than Chrome. (http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/09/01/maxthon-3-gets-turbo-charged-with-webkit/) More recently Technology Blog in comprehensive testing also found Maxthon to be the fastest browser. (http://arvindgaba.com/computer/browser-2/maxthon-3-beta-speed-test-vs-firefox-chrome-iemaxthon3-being-fastest-of-all/) Now that Maxthon is up to ramming speed, its developers are busily transporting its popular features in Maxthon 2 to Max 3.

Frankenstein Timop asks, "Isn't Maxthon a Frankenstein-mix of Gecko+Trident?" Maxthon 3 has two display rendering engines, Trident, which is also used by I.E. and several other browsers, and WebKit, which is also used by Chrome and Safari. Max 3 switches automatically between the two browsers to use the one that will better display the page it's loading.It's like a hybrid car.

Hackers the hackers from China first of all may not be coming from China. Any decent hacker would disguise his IP address. Regardless, Maxthon does no hacking and shares no information with the Chinese government. It is politically neutral.

Reviews And ijacks asks, "If Maxthon 3 is so good why don't we see rave reviews of it?" Fair question. The answer is that Maxthon has only recently started pushing into the U.S. Market. And because of the way some research companies figure the user shares of browsers, for years Maxthon was counted as Internet Explorer. That has changed at Net Applications and StatCounter, and now you can see there is no difference between Maxthon's and Safari's Windows market share, and Maxthon is only about a percent point or so behind Opera.

As ares1214 says, if you don't like his benchmark numbers, run your own tests.

Ron White
Advocate
Maxthon International

ares1214

Splendid
So you are a part of Maxthon? Well thats nice to know. Maxthon 2 had good features, but its speed was almost as bad or worse than IE. Its good to know some features will be incorporated into M3, as it is pretty dry on the feature side. FYI, ive switched just about everyday between M3 and FF4, and i have found them to be winners. No hacks ive seen. The passport is kinda wierd, and the minimize, x, and maximize occasionally go black, but minimizng and maximizing fixes it. So not too many striking cons, but also not many features to differentiate. Just a faster version of Chrome, IMO. Theres a review for ya ;)

G

First, i appreciate the author for the good work done. Personally I have been using firefox for a while now but after reading from his comparison, i went ahead to download Maxon -- oh my good it is ten times better than firefox. Please thank you....

Robert
Uganda

If I cant check its source code, it does not get installed on my computer.
And for what its worth, I would be willing to bet a lot of money that this "maxthon" uses the webkit engine. Highly unlikely that they wrote their own from scratch

ares1214

Splendid

Frankenstein Timop asks, "Isn't Maxthon a Frankenstein-mix of Gecko+Trident?" Maxthon 3 has two display rendering engines, Trident, which is also used by I.E. and several other browsers, and WebKit, which is also used by Chrome and Safari. Max 3 switches automatically between the two browsers to use the one that will better display the page it's loading.It's like a hybrid car.

And you point is...? I dont really see where you are going with that one! :lol:

pete3867

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
in my own un scientific tests between
ie 8
firefox 3.6
opera
and Avant browser
to my surprise Avant browser came out on top . I still use ff most of the time but Avant has some great features

ares1214

Splendid
I recently got Avant and Flock to test them. Avant did ok, flock didnt. But your missing some pretty important browsers in that test. Chrome widely regarded as the fastest, and Maxthon 3, which ive tested to be the fastest.

ares1214

Splendid

Ha, i got M2.5 first. Love the features, but basically a IE8 for speed and such. They are pretty much the same thing in the core after all. M3 is different. Not as many features, simpler UI, MUCH faster. If they bring the features of 2.5 into 3, it will be quite the browser...

ares1214

Splendid
IE9 wont work on my computer. Vista screwed up my update process, wont run, believe me ive tried. Therefore, by default, it loses :lol: In any event, most sites put it at sometimes as fast, or a little slower than the big ones out now, so i doubt it would take the lead.

RonWhite

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

Can you check the source code of Windows?

RonWhite

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

And in fact, I can tell you that the best of the features of 2.5 will be polished and installed in version 3 of Maxthon. Not all at once, but getting Max 3 up to speed, so to speak, and then installing the features deliberately, one by one, seem the best way to combine quality with stability.

Ron White
Advocate
Maxthon International

ares1214

Splendid
If I cant check its source code, it does not get installed on my computer.
And for what its worth, I would be willing to bet a lot of money that this "maxthon" uses the webkit engine. Highly unlikely that they wrote their own from scratch

:lol: Haha, gotcha there! And no need to sell it to me, already got it :lol: But M2.5 had a lot of good passive features, and even more so in the UI department. Like being able to have 2 seperate pages side by side...Sure its possible with other browsers, but this was easier, and better. I liked that one. Few others too. But dont clog the UI up to much. M3 has a nice cut down UI simplicity, somewhat like Chrome.

I don't notice a significant difference between IE and FireFox to be honest... that's why I've never switched. Despite everyone's assertions that IE is full of "holes", I haven't had a single issue with my computer that could be related to browser security. It's not like I haven't tried FF... because I have... I just didn't see any reason to stick with it.

ares1214

Splendid

Well, its the slowest, least compatible as far as HTML5 and such, bad features, bad security...so therent no reason to use it over anything else.

Again, it does everything I need it to, I've never had any security issues with it, so I'll keep using it until something else comes along that (for me) blows it out of the water. I've used FF as I said... and it didn't blow me away with blinding speed. Perhaps for what you do, you notice a difference... but for what I do, I don't. And unless I can notice an appreciable difference, there's no point in me switching.

Its no suprise that Opera is the winner but I would prefer to have FF 4 and IE 9 betas added to see a glimpse of the future and what it may hold.

I use IE 9 Beta and FF 3.6 (have 4 on my PC but its doesn't work with some of my plugins yet so no go yet) and so far IE9 works great, much better than IE8 and is faster than FF 3.6. Of course FF 4 is faster than FF 3.6 but in loading times and page loading, FF 4 feels a tad slower than IE9.

I wont install anything Google on my PC, hate Apple and am just used to FF and IE so Opera is out.

RonWhite

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Zoron....
Have you tried Maxthon? If you don't need the supersonic speed of Maxthon 3, take Maxthon 2 for a spin. Try out all its tools and goodies. It's at www.maxthon.com, natch.
Ron White