[SOLVED] Fastest wifi speed you achieved on a single device?

Feb 18, 2021
Some of you guys have pretty impressive systems. I am curious what maximum download speed you achieved to date on a single device?

Solution
While you seem knowledgeable and I appreciate you participating in the conversation, I do feel you're being a bit of a Debbie Downer unnecessarily without knowing the context.

I've been in this apartment since 2016 and I initially had a 30Mbps subscription with a small local provider for which I was paying 39/month. They were eventually bought by a bigger company who increased the price to 49/month but also the speed to 1Gbps. This and other providers actually got rid of the smaller speeds and they offer only one option to all subscribers which I think makes a lot of sense.

One provider also offers 10Gbps for 79/month. The first 4 months are free for new customers so on the first year that comes to 52/month which is around what...
Sure if you sit in some special room with no interference and run some special testing program that does not represent real life transfers maybe you can get rates like that.

You have to consider that even on pc you need to worry about the file structure even when you have SSD just to do copies on the same machine. When you start approaching gigabit speeds many other factors are the bottleneck not the network. You are talking about a cell phone that has nothing processor wise compared to a pc. The storage is also does not compare to m2 ssd in pc.

For a phone what does it really matter. You can't install a 20gbyte game anyway so does it really matter if you save 1 second to down a large file.

In any case wifi speed are massive lies. They do stuff like add the transmit and receive speeds together.

Besides where are you going to get a internet connection that is more than 1gbit.

This phone is one of the very first wifi6e devices. Unless you want to be the test users I would wait until they put out a few patches.

USAFRet

Titan
for me the gb service was the same as i was paying for the 100/100 speed. so was kind of a no brainer to upgrade. no clue what it costs in your area as i know prices vary wildly from city to city, even as close together as we are.
Changing from 100/100 to 1000/1000 would be about a $50 increase, I think.

If it were closer to the same, I would.
But at 100/100, I don't feel like I'm "missing" anything.

Well go spend at least another $500 to get the one router that supports wifi6e...you likely have to pay much more to the scalper since it is hard to find.

It only has a 2.5g port on it which is not real standard it will not connect to a 10g internet you likely need a switch inbetween.

Then after you spend all that money what happens you completely fill the memory on your phone in 3 second rather than 10 second. Sure it might run faster but what is the point...bragging to your friends.

As of right now there really is very little actual use for extremely high speed internet. The only thing I have seen need speeds like this is stuff like video rendering and that is not done over the internet and is not done over wifi or on a silly phone.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah the gb speed is more than we need for sure. i'd not even bother trying to go faster.

the only good thing about it is that everyone can use the web at the same time and we don't have to even worry about others. there is just more than enough to go around. but 500/500 would be enough for that same job. just so happened that the gb was cheap so i went for it. think we pay $79 a month for it and we already paid that for the 100/100 at the time. we got it right after it was an option so the slower packages had not dropped in price yet.

Feb 18, 2021
Well go spend at least another $500 to get the one router that supports wifi6e...you likely have to pay much more to the scalper since it is hard to find.

It only has a 2.5g port on it which is not real standard it will not connect to a 10g internet you likely need a switch inbetween.

Then after you spend all that money what happens you completely fill the memory on your phone in 3 second rather than 10 second. Sure it might run faster but what is the point...bragging to your friends.

As of right now there really is very little actual use for extremely high speed internet. The only thing I have seen need speeds like this is stuff like video rendering and that is not done over the internet and is not done over wifi or on a silly phone.
While you seem knowledgeable and I appreciate you participating in the conversation, I do feel you're being a bit of a Debbie Downer unnecessarily without knowing the context.

I've been in this apartment since 2016 and I initially had a 30Mbps subscription with a small local provider for which I was paying 39/month. They were eventually bought by a bigger company who increased the price to 49/month but also the speed to 1Gbps. This and other providers actually got rid of the smaller speeds and they offer only one option to all subscribers which I think makes a lot of sense.

One provider also offers 10Gbps for 79/month. The first 4 months are free for new customers so on the first year that comes to 52/month which is around what I am paying now. They're also throwing in the Zyxel AX7501-b0 which costs almost 400 alone and advertises 6Gbps over wifi. I'm tempted to make the switch for the router alone, the one I have now is pretty crappy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

? $79 a month for gb speed? Where do you guys live? I have to pay that much for 100 Mb down and 6Mb up

One provider also offers 10Gbps for 79/month. The first 4 months are free for new customers so on the first year that comes to 52/month which is around what I am paying now. They're also throwing in the Zyxel AX7501-b0 which costs almost 400 alone and advertises 6Gbps over wifi. I'm tempted to make the switch for the router alone, the one I have now is pretty crappy.
This is where you have to actually read the specs that the engineers write and not just read the bold print written by marketing guys. They are trying to con you so they get your money in their pocket. I guess if they give it to your free it doesn't matter as much.

The whole problem is all the company marketing guys and a lot of the press that want the adverting dollars doing their best to hide all the technical problems in the fine print.

The largest issues with that router is it only runs wifi6 and not wifi6e. The 6g radio channels in the wifi6e is what really allows faster wifi speeds.

The problem with wifi6 is there are massive restrictions on the 5g band for using 160mhz. All kinds of restrictions on radar avoidance or having to run a very none standard split 80+80 band. Many routers and most cell phones just gave up and only support the 80mhz which is the same as 802.11ac. Sure you might be able to use qam1024 if you are close to the router but in general most people saw very little difference between 802.11ac and wifi6 because of this hidden 80mhz scam. You have to read the fine print very closely to see if this limitation exists.

From what I can tell if you run your phone on the 5g band it will only run 80mhz bands not real sure it is a very new phone but all the previous cell phone chipsets from broadcom had that limitation. I suspect the only way you are going get faster than 1gbit is to use a ethernet connected machines that has a 10gbit port in it.

I am waiting until much more equipment comes onto the market for wifi6e. The cost is just too high by summer when some of the lower cost vender like tplink get wifi6e it should be better.

In your case I guess if it doesn't cost any more you might as well do it.

What will happen is pretty much what happens to everyone when they first get a much faster internet. You run the speed test numbers and are impressed. You download a big game and discover it downloads extremely fast but then still takes massive amounts of time to install the patch or configure the game. After the initial week or so you will discover everything runs about the same as it did before because it was not your internet speed limiting you. Many web sites and application still run slow because of limitations that have nothing to do with network performance.

You may not like this and think this is "debbue downer" but real life is not always as exciting as they make out.

Solution

High speeds are only useful to upgrade to if they are useful. Are you transferring a ton of data over the link or are you checking to see which celebrity is getting divorced or went to a beach yesterday? Running games with no issues? No issues with video streaming? If everything is running fine, then upgrading to have everything still run fine is pointless only to see higher numbers in speed tests.

I went from what I think was a 300mb connection to a 1gb FIOS link and there is no difference with how my household worked. In fact the Verizon hardware was a lot less reliable than my slower cable hardware. The amount of time a computer or the whole house had issues went up 5 fold or more.

Feb 18, 2021
Actually the most important thing to me is the higher connection speed between the router and devices that comes with a more advanced router. I download movies and stream them between my devices; a movie with the uncompressed audio can be 80Gb.

Btw can anyone read this status from my router? Does that mean that I am connected at 1.3 Gbps (min 1.04, max 1.56) and the maximum link speed is 20 Gbps?

ROM Values
connectorSC
ethernetLX
encoding8B10B
rate1300
rate-max1560
rate-min1040
single-mode20000
vendorGENEXIS
oui00:00:00

kanewolf

Titan
Actually the most important thing to me is the higher connection speed between the router and devices that comes with a more advanced router. I download movies and stream them between my devices; a movie with the uncompressed audio can be 80Gb.

Btw can anyone read this status from my router? Does that mean that I am connected at 1.3 Gbps (min 1.04, max 1.56) and the maximum link speed is 20 Gbps?

ROM Values
connectorSC
ethernetLX
encoding8B10B
rate1300
rate-max1560
rate-min1040
single-mode20000
vendorGENEXIS
The one thing that is odd is the designation of "LX" -- That is used for gigabit ethernet. "LR" is used for 10GE. So I am not sure about the 1.3Gb.
The 20000 is more likely distance. Although LX 1GE is usually limited to 10KM, so I am not sure what units it is.

Not sure where you are getting those number, did you you already get the faster router.

This connection is what many ISP call 1gbit on fiber. It appears to be using EPON because of the 8B10B encoding. This means because of the extra overhead the 1300 speed will only give you 1gbit of actual data because the extra bits are used for error correction.

Feb 18, 2021
Not sure where you are getting those number, did you you already get the faster router.
No, this is a more recent box from my current provider. The throughput is a little faster than my old router but it's still only ac. I was looking for the link speed in the settings and that was the only thing that looked like it could be it.

ROM Values
connectorSC
ethernetLX
encoding8B10B
rate1300
rate-max1560
rate-min1040
single-mode20000
vendorGENEXIS

So if this has nothing to do with the outside speed to the ISP, you just need the fastest WiFi router paired with the fastest WiFi cards for the computer you use. Internal network speeds is just what hardware you buy and the physical layout if using wireless, along with how much interference you have from signals from neighbors, etc...

There are some network speed testing tools out there, Passmark has a free trial of theirs https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/pt_advnet.php

TRENDING THREADS