Fatal Exception Error OD HELP!!!

2 days ago I started receiving a fatal excpetion error that produces a black
screen then turns to the blue screen and reads: fatal exception OD has
occured at 0028:C0034366 in VXD IFSMGR (01) +000009A2. I am running Windows
98 64 ram. Yes, I know its time to upgrade and have a DELL coming
tomorrow...lol, but Id still like to fix this problem, its driving me MAD!:)
My computer also hangs up or freezes frequently and I have to turn the power
off....any ideas what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks! Darcy

http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ifsmgr.htm
Leboeuf's two IFSMGR selections, & here they are...

World Atlas: Exception 0E Error in VxD IFSMGR
An exeption OE has occurred at address in Vxd IFSMGR.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153598 (W95 6/1/2001) (N/A Oct.
23/03)

Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys
When you restart your computer, you may receive one of the following
error messages: While initializing device IFSMGR. The Microsoft
Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please
ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258471 (ME 1/2/2002

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| 2 days ago I started receiving a fatal excpetion error that produces a
black
| screen then turns to the blue screen and reads: fatal exception OD has
| occured at 0028:C0034366 in VXD IFSMGR (01) +000009A2. I am running
Windows
| 98 64 ram. Yes, I know its time to upgrade and have a DELL coming
| tomorrow...lol, but Id still like to fix this problem, its driving me
MAD!:)
| My computer also hangs up or freezes frequently and I have to turn the
power
| off....any ideas what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks! Darcy

I looked at both articles. The first was no longer available. The second
pertained to Windows ME and I am just running Windows 98. I have never gotten
an error message when starting up and when I did a "find" for the IFSHLP.SYS
file, it did show up. Whether its corrupted or not, I dont know.
Unfortunately, I do not have the start up disks to erase everything and
reload it all fresh. They were lost during our move. Any other suggestions?

"PCR" wrote:

> http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ifsmgr.htm
> Leboeuf's two IFSMGR selections, & here they are...
>
> World Atlas: Exception 0E Error in VxD IFSMGR
> An exeption OE has occurred at address in Vxd IFSMGR.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153598 (W95 6/1/2001) (N/A Oct.
> 23/03)
>
> Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
> C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys
> When you restart your computer, you may receive one of the following
> error messages: While initializing device IFSMGR. The Microsoft
> Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please
> ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted.
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258471 (ME 1/2/2002
>

> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Desert_Diva71" <Desert_Diva71@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:C953EEF5-7DD8-47B2-A5A2-3C63AD5E9BEB@microsoft.com...
> | 2 days ago I started receiving a fatal excpetion error that produces a
> black
> | screen then turns to the blue screen and reads: fatal exception OD has
> | occured at 0028:C0034366 in VXD IFSMGR (01) +000009A2. I am running
> Windows
> | 98 64 ram. Yes, I know its time to upgrade and have a DELL coming
> | tomorrow...lol, but Id still like to fix this problem, its driving me
> MAD!:)
> | My computer also hangs up or freezes frequently and I have to turn the
> power
> | off....any ideas what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks! Darcy

From MVP Jim Eshelman's web pages:
http://aumha.org/win4/kbefe.htm

Fatal Exception 0D

"Of the many types of Fatal Exception Errors, a Fatal Exception Error 0D is a
General Protection Fault. A program has been corrupted in memory. Most often, it is
caused by outdated or damaged video drivers, outdated multimedia software, or
physically damaged RAM. However, these are not the only causes. Unfortunately,
sometimes it can be obscure because any fatal exception condition not covered by any
of the other 17 processor exception categories will be called a general protection
fault. The specific scenario and specific error message references should be
consulted to help identify the specific problem. For updated drivers, check with
your hardware manufacturer...."

These articles pertain to an exception 0E, not 0D, in IFSMGR.VXD, but they may
provide clues as to how that file is involved in these types of errors:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153598
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=192844
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262471
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=248886
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=175211

P.S. - What desert are you in, diva?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> I looked at both articles. The first was no longer available. The second
> pertained to Windows ME and I am just running Windows 98. I have never gotten
> an error message when starting up and when I did a "find" for the IFSHLP.SYS
> file, it did show up. Whether its corrupted or not, I dont know.
> Unfortunately, I do not have the start up disks to erase everything and
> reload it all fresh. They were lost during our move. Any other suggestions?
>
> "PCR" wrote:
>
> > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ifsmgr.htm
> > Leboeuf's two IFSMGR selections, & here they are...
> >
> > World Atlas: Exception 0E Error in VxD IFSMGR
> > An exeption OE has occurred at address in Vxd IFSMGR.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153598 (W95 6/1/2001) (N/A Oct.
> > 23/03)
> >
> > Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
> > C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys
> > When you restart your computer, you may receive one of the following
> > error messages: While initializing device IFSMGR. The Microsoft
> > Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please
> > ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted.
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258471 (ME 1/2/2002
> >

> > --
> > Thanks or Good Luck,
> > There may be humor in this post, and,
> > Naturally, you will not sue,
> > should things get worse after this,
> > PCR
> > pcrrcp@netzero.net
> > "Desert_Diva71" <Desert_Diva71@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:C953EEF5-7DD8-47B2-A5A2-3C63AD5E9BEB@microsoft.com...
> > | 2 days ago I started receiving a fatal excpetion error that produces a
> > black
> > | screen then turns to the blue screen and reads: fatal exception OD has
> > | occured at 0028:C0034366 in VXD IFSMGR (01) +000009A2. I am running
> > Windows
> > | 98 64 ram. Yes, I know its time to upgrade and have a DELL coming
> > | tomorrow...lol, but Id still like to fix this problem, its driving me
> > MAD!:)
> > | My computer also hangs up or freezes frequently and I have to turn the
> > power
> > | off....any ideas what causes this and how I can fix it? Thanks! Darcy

Thanks Glee, I'll look those up and see what I can do...a computer expert I
am not, so we'll see what happens:) I am from the Sonoran desert of Arizona:)

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> > Unfortunately, I do not have the start up disks to erase everything and
> > reload it all fresh. They were lost during our move. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > "PCR" wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/ifsmgr.htm
> > > Leboeuf's two IFSMGR selections, & here they are...
> > >
> > > World Atlas: Exception 0E Error in VxD IFSMGR
> > > An exeption OE has occurred at address in Vxd IFSMGR.
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153598 (W95 6/1/2001) (N/A Oct.
> > > 23/03)
> > >
> > > Error Message: The Following File Is Missing or Corrupted:
> > > C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys
> > > When you restart your computer, you may receive one of the following
> > > error messages: While initializing device IFSMGR. The Microsoft
> > > Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please
> > > ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted.

I see Glee has posted a number of articles. Thumb through them, & stick
with him. You SHOULD have a IFSHLP.SYS in C:\Windows, though, even in
Win98...

IFSHLP.SYS
Type: System file
Loc: C:\WINDOWS
Size: 3,708 bytes
Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM

That is old enough (in Win98SE) never to have been modified by an
update. So, extract it with SFC.

(1) "START button, Run, SFC"
(2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
(3) Enter "IFSHLP.SYS" in the "Specify..." box.
(4) Click "Start".
(5) It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS".
If not, make it so.
(6) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
(a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
(b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
"C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
(7) Click "OK"

If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it up.
May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will request
that you reboot to complete the install.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q185836
System File Checker
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188186
SFC baseline