Father of the Xbox Leaves Microsoft, Leaves Letter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I think that "Invite them to redefine The Tribe." is the main focus here. I think that he mean that he isn't really satisfied with Microsoft and that's why he left. MS need changes, need more great ideas and more of that "I can change the world" feeling inside the company.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Interesting story. Quite good actually.

Its still amazing that MS had lived to become such a power house. 1991? Thats what he had? What a bloody joke!

in 1991, I was running an Amiga, doing MULTI-TASKING, color graphics and 3D sound and a far better OS over DOS, even Windows95 was still crap in comparison... but was an important step for the PC world. It wasn't until WindowsXP that MS's mainstream OS was mostly better than a long-dead Amiga 3.0 OS... 10 years earlier!

Type writers? DOS command?

Also in 1991, I was doing desk top publishing on my Amiga in my apartment. Something that was mostly for Mac, Amigas and AtariSTs.

I remember when I upgraded to a 1200baud modem... oh that was FAST.

My cable interent just upgraded from 6Mbps to 24Mbps for free. For those of you that are AFTER the old days....

1Mbps is pretty much a T1
300~500Kbps was early days of DSL (it was amazing!) = $50 a month.
128K = ISDN modems (some people paid $150 a month)
56k = Last of the dialup modems.
33k = Very popular in the mid-90s+.
14k = Started out in the 90s.
9.6 = early 90s consumer USR-Robotics, people paid $300 for such modems.
2400 = High end for 1990.
1200 = mainstream - Words would fly on the screen.
300 = basic 1985 - At these rates, you can watch TEXT crawl across the screen... almost typing speed.

Shall we count the zeros? I remember when the concepts of DSL and cable downloads of 700~1000K was just mind blowing.

56,000k - Dial up
128,000k - ISDN
3,000,000m - typical LOW-END modern internet & some cell phones
24,000,000m - Standard Internet access

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]Wow first time I get -5 on here for not being an Apple fanboy. The idea he had of a netbook is excellent compared to apple's product. Go look up the tech video of it and you will see what I mean. I have used an ipad for an entire day and I am not impressed at all. Just a useless gadget.[/citation]

I believe people are annoyed because the Courier != Netbook. Just a guess.

Great letter to read.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Those of you whom feel it was too long, too wordy or inappropriate, likely have never worked for a company you've dedicated your life towards.
I find it perfectly clear that James loved the work he did, and although he loved the company he worked for, he may have felt a little under-appreciated by his management (which, unfortunately, is the only way big corporations' management works - they only look at the bottom line).

The "traditional" iQuit of one or two paragrahps only demonstrates lack of character and contempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.