[SOLVED] Faulty 3080?

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
I'm trying to figure out if my GPU is faulty or it's something else, when gaming i see occasional green flashes appearing in parts of the display for a fraction of a second when gaming which is a bit concerning as only had the card a short while and an RMA will probably be a nightmare all things considered

GPU is MSI 3080 Suprim X
Display is LG CX OLED
HDMI cable is wyrestorm rated 48gbps (10 meters)

I'm running 4K 120hz HDR (10bit RGB) and G-Sync which should be within the HDMI cable's bandwidth

The GPU does run VERY hot, upto 110c on memory and 90c+ on core but from reading through forums it seems this is within range for this card

Solution
That VRAM temperature seems insanely hot for gaming, it’s expected if mining. My 3080’s VRAM stays under 90c while gaming. Those types of graphical issues are often associated with overheating vram however I am applying normal symptoms to GDRR6X and not sure if it does apply.

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
pn1XUpzwj

Here's a freeze frame i managed to take showing the glitch

That VRAM temperature seems insanely hot for gaming, it’s expected if mining. My 3080’s VRAM stays under 90c while gaming. Those types of graphical issues are often associated with overheating vram however I am applying normal symptoms to GDRR6X and not sure if it does apply.

Solution

smithg97

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
Just to add some more context, I'm using Fractal R6 case with 2x Noctua NF-A14 fans as front intake and 1x as rear exhaust (max RPM on custom curve is ~1,100 RPM) plus Corsair H150i elite AIO with 3x Noctua NF-F12 fans (max RPM on custom curve is same as above) and is cooling 5900X which reaches about 90C when gaming long sessions, for GPU i have fan settings at stock (reaches ~1,900 RPM max), the physical switch on the GPU is set to silent mode, i'm also running latest mobo BIOS and also updated VBIOS in order to enable resizeable bar, all in all the noise from the fans is about as much as i can tolerate before it becomes an annoyance. There's no build up of dust in the case as the system is all relatively new...I'm wondering if it is just as you say the VRAM getting too hot and causing graphical glitches so need to know whether the card is a dud or if it's possible to make a few tweaks to resolve the issue :(