Faulty Crucial MX100 SSD? Help please!

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hi. 2 days ago I bought MX100 SSD in made a fresh install of WIN 8.1. So far it worked great, but then some issues appeared. Sometimes when I turn on my computer, and start a program it completely freezes... once I even restarted computer, but it was unable to boot Windows from SSD because of some reason (it said something about checking cables on SSD). Yesterday my computer froze 2 times, today..same story. I decided to wait in case it "un-freezes" but I got this message after few seconds:
BSOD - "KERNEL_DATA_INPUT_ERROR"

People suggested me to install Crucial Storage Executive, so I did. I checked for SSD health and these were the results:

http://i.imgur.com/MPqaASi.png
http://i.imgur.com/81q0fkH.jpg

What they (people from local forum) didn't like, was "Ultra-DMA CRC Error Count - 75 errors". They told me to change SATA cable, and so I did. Same thing. changed it again with new one, still 75 errors.

Would you guys know how to help?

The CRC error count is an ongoing record of such errors since the drive has been manufactured. Changing the cable won't reset it.

CRC error is more often due to poor communication between the drive and the system, rather than a fault with the drive itself. That might also tie in with the Windows error message.

Things to try are: running it with the new SATA cable; if you still get errors, try a different SATA port; if still errors, ensure all relevant motherboard drivers are present and up to date.

If you post your full system specs (including down to the PSU and other disk drives), it might help.

Wort

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013

Do you suggest doing Secure Erase with Parted magic? When I try to do it, I cant unfreeze SSD, and there's no SSD name and serial number written next to it. Anyway, I will give you full specs:

PSU: XFX Core edition 550W
CPU: i5 4670k stock
Mobo: Asrock Z87 Extreme4
SSD: Crucial MX100 256gb
GPU: Gigabyte R9 280x OC Rev 2.0
HDD: WD Caviar Green 1TB
RAM: G.SKill sniper 8Gb 1866Mhz

running on WIn 8.1 PRO 64bit

EDIT: Also, could these errors occur due to badly attached sata cable? Also, if CRC error count doesn't increase over time, does that mean that problem has been fixed by itself?

They could happen due to a poorly attached cable. Or due to a fault with the motherboard hardware/software, or the SSD itself...unfortunately it's one of those things where it takes time to diagnose it.

There's no reason to try and reset the CRC count. You just want to know if it goes up in future. Try making sure that the SATA cable is correctly seated etc (both the data and the power cables) and see how you go.

One thing that occurs, you say it happens sometimes when you 'turn on' the computer. Is this turn on from cold (i.e. boot) or waking it up from hibernation/sleep? Plenty of people have had SSD/BSOD issues when doing this. If that's what's happening to you, you could try disabling hibernation.