Faulty I7 8700K?

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hello I built a new PC about a month ago. It worked fine for about two weeks, then one day it froze. I restarted the PC and it began a boot loop with multiple bluescreen windows errors. Most commonly SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED and BAD POOL HEADER.

I've done a lot of reading and testing. I cannot get into windows to retrieve the dump files. It just constantly boot loops after the PC posts. Even with a bootable windows USB drive it does the same thing.

Here are a couple of things I tried ( All tests were done using the onboard video. I took the video card out of the PC)

I swapped the ram out with ram from from a working PC and the same issue.

I disconnected the SSD with Windows and tried to boot just off the Windows Bootable flash drive, but same blue screen issues.

Sometimes the ASUS Bios would freeze up so I thought maybe the Cmos needed resetting or the motherboard was defective. After resetting the Cmos with no change, ASUS replaced my motherboard. But I still have the same problem.

I thought maybe grounding issues or powersupply? So I went through and checked all of the motherboard screws and even swapped the powersupply port for the CPU from CPU port #1 to CPU port #2 on my powersupply

So my guess now is that either the CPU is bad or the powersupply. I'm leaning more toward the CPU. I haven't gotten the chance to Overclock anything yet. So that I know of I didn't screw anything up. Temp has never been issue.

Any suggestions?

I7 8700K
Asus Z370-E Motherboard
EVGA 750 Gold Powersupply
Corsair Vengence DDR4 3000
EVGA GTX 1080 TI
Samsung SSD
Thanks

Solution
I figured I'd update this post in case anybody else has the same issue. I RMA'ed the CPU and it fixed the problem. I guess the CPU was bad or went bad within the couple of weeks using it. Thanks for the help.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
have you tried removing your cpu from the socket and checking if there any bent pins on the motherboard mount? the problem you are describing sounds like that could be the cause. bent pins (even 1 thats just unaligned) will cause random issues after a couple of days of usage. if there is a couple of bent pins, you can try fixing it yourself with a steady hand, a really bright white light, magnifying glass/camera phone zoom and metal tweezer/thick needle.

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I can try swapping the powersupply out later today. When I exchanged motherboards I inspected the CPU. Nothing looked bent. The 8700K doesn't really have pins, more like contact points. But nothing looked out of place.

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Ok So a quick update.

Switching out the power-supplies did nothing. I got the same errors.

I went ahead and did a Memory test with Memtest86 on each stick of ram. They immediately got CPU errors and the Memtest froze. Just to make sure it wasn't two sticks of bad Ram, I did a memory test on my other PC. It passed. I took of it its sticks of ram and tested it in the bad PC and the exact same memory errors occurred.

Here is a pic of the frozen screen from the Memtest. https://ibb.co/e5RRMb

I'm pulling the CPU off tomorrow. If I don't see any bent pins, I guess start the RMA processes for the CPU?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
a defective CPU is very rare though. theyd rather believe you damaged it than the product was faulty. especially from Intel nowadays. before purchasing another 8700k, have a PC shop test the chip for you first. i know it will be difficult to convince the shop to RMA an Intel chip without hard evidence.

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I figured I'd update this post in case anybody else has the same issue. I RMA'ed the CPU and it fixed the problem. I guess the CPU was bad or went bad within the couple of weeks using it. Thanks for the help.

Solution

satomaki

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
I have a very similar set up as yours. My PC was working for 1 night with the OS running downloading drivers and software and then next morning my computer just blue screened with "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" and various DRIVER type blue screen errors.
Couldn't boot off SSD and couldn't boot off a Windows bootable USB. Just either blue screened or just a restart loop after BIOs splash screen.

Checked pins on moba, checked power supply, got a spare motherboard, got spare memory to test and same issue.

Getting CPU rma'd right now. Should get it back sometime this week. *fingers crossed*

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Sounds exactly like the problem I had. It took me weeks reading and testing everything I could. I threw a new CPU in and it booted right to Windows like nothing ever happened. Hopefully a new CPU fixes your issues. Don't forget if the CPU does work you have to reactivated your Windows key.

Either way, let me know if the CPU fixes it. Good luck!

yesno2369

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hello,
I had the same issue. It went bad during the night also. It drove me crazy. I changed motherboard (three times). And I don't speak about the rest. Today I sent the CPU (i7 8700k) back to the reseller and said a prayer.
I'll keep in touch as soon as possible.
Saluti

satomaki

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hey mtesta1985 and yesno2369,

The new CPU fixed it! Intel took about 2 days to process the RMA once they received it. Super quick.

Intel gave me what it looks like a new CPU/fully sealed in original box. (Haven't OC'd it) But cleaned the thermal paste from the CPU cooler, applied new paste and placed CPU cooler. Turned it on and boom. Windows repaired itself, rebooted a couple times and fully functional. Had to re-install a few drivers.

Thanks for the thread that helped me out.

yesno2369

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018

yesno2369

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hi satomaki,
I'm happy for you. My new CPU is on its way. I should receive it tomorrow. I feel confident again.
I hope I can give you some good news very soon.
Saluti

yesno2369

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Hi everybody,
My PC is alive ! I received a new CPU but I had to struggle a bit. I explain why. When I first had, this issue, I thought it was a motherboard problem. My old faulty CPU was installed on 3 different motherboard, inculding the last one, an Asus ROG Maximus X HERO.
So, yesterday, I install carefully my new CPU on this superb ASUS motherboard and everything is fine, for about 5 minutes ... After that, I start to doubt again. The Asus, when I switch it on, only gives a short "click" and stops.
At this point, I am about to cry. But I don't give up. My reseller sent me a new MSI Z370 PC PRO by mistake. I still have it, so I decide to try with that one and bingo.
Everything works fine again after a little work of driver installation but after what I went through, it's peanuts.

So all these problems lead me to these conclusions. First, it was a faulty CPU, second, I even think that this faulty CPU damaged 3 motherboards in my case.

I submit these findings to you, what do you think about ?

Today it is Sunday, so tomorrow, I will have a talk with my reseller to ask him what he thinks about. We also have to talk about refund, for sure.

Thank you for the thread, it's a great help.
Saluti

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Hey yesno2369, Sorry for the late response. That's awesome you got it working. I can see where the CPU affected the motherboard or vise versa. I too replaced the motherboard from Asus. When I sent it in to ASUS they tested it and said it was bad. So I'm not sure if my original motherboard caused my CPU to fail or the CPU caused the original motherboard to fail. Either way at least its fixed. Thanks for the update

Jun 24, 2018
I have this same problem, and i think my faulty 8700k also broke my mobo too, since i took my pc to local pc repairing store and they scanned the cpu and also tried to turn on my pc with their cpu and it did not work - same problem. Their report said that multiple threads were "sailing" during their PC-check.
I have bought new mobo, ssd, psu and problem still remains.. Going to RMA my cpu tomorrow.
I was using this setup perfectly without changing any settings during last 5 months before suddenly blue screen while gaming and this problem came.
Cpu cooler is noctua nh-d15.

mtesta1985

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

Yeap sounds almost identical to what happened to me. After I RMA'ed the CPU I've had no more problems.