[SOLVED] faulty memory module?

Oct 15, 2020
Hi guys. I'm having a strange issue and I need some help or someone to share their experience about the subject. I have a ryzen 2600 with 2x8 ddr4 3200 mhz ram. a couple of months ago, my pc randomly turned the screen, keyboard and mouse off but the pc kept running and I had to restart to fix it,but a week ago, I started to have randomly blue screens with all kind of messages regarding kernel, drivers of all kind and almost always my pc failed to boot getting constant reboots, screen freeze or blue screens. I thought that maybe my windows install was corrupted so I tried to install windows, but I still got the same errors when loading the installation files, pc froze, just reboots until it finally went through. I thought that something weird was going on if that's happening on the windows install screen. it turns out that after installing everything my pc ran fine for about 1 day, and then the problems started again. I disconnected everything and gave it all a nice clean buy the problem persisted, so I started to test my rams. since the moment I unplugged one of the modules my pc ran flawless and I had absolutely no problem with it for 2 days, then I tried to start the pc with the allegedly faulty module on the same slot the other memory was working fine and again, pc freezes, bsod, windows missing kernel messages. switched to the good memory and again flawless.. so I ran the memtest test on the faulty memory, but after 4 phases it showed 0 errors. how is it possible? I'm pretty sure at this point that the memory module is failing because pc won't boot with it, but is it possible to get no errors on that test and have a faulty memory anyway? thanks!

EDIT:both modules were bought together as a kit and were working with no problem for over a year with no changes

bsod messages I got are: irql less or equal, bug ndis driver, attempted to read only memory failed, kernel mode heap corruption, page fault in non paged area, system thread exception not handled, pfn list corrupt

Last edited:
Solution
...so I ran the memtest test on the faulty memory, but after 4 phases it showed 0 errors. how is it possible? I'm pretty sure at this point that the memory module is failing because pc won't boot with it, but is it possible to get no errors on that test and have a faulty memory anyway?
Which memory test did you use? There's a few different ones out there, so I would try a couple of different ones using a live cd/usb and see if that helps.

But generally when a module is bad, it's bad and I think you've determined that. Luckily, most memory has a lifetime warranty so just start the warranty process.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
which motherboard are you using and which BIOS version is on it?
To elaboarte on this BSODs with IRQ LESS OR EQUAL are usually the RAMs BSOD but not always. Your getting black screens and BSODs who's error message you haven't told us. It could be a lot of things at this point and even the PSU can be at fault. The best thing to do is go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults then try one stick of RAM only and try to install Windows. If it doesn't work and gives reboot or BSOD etc try the other stick of RAM only by itself once again and see what happens. If you still get reboots and BSODs then you have some sorta faulty hardware. I would at that point change and instead of blaming RAM or motherboard I would blame the PSU basically dying. Just my two cents.🙈👍👶✝

Oct 15, 2020
To elaboarte on this BSODs with IRQ LESS OR EQUAL are usually the RAMs BSOD but not always. Your getting black screens and BSODs who's error message you haven't told us. It could be a lot of things at this point and even the PSU can be at fault. The best thing to do is go to BIOS and set to optimized defaults then try one stick of RAM only and try to install Windows. If it doesn't work and gives reboot or BSOD etc try the other stick of RAM only by itself once again and see what happens. If you still get reboots and BSODs then you have some sorta faulty hardware. I would at that point change and instead of blaming RAM or motherboard I would blame the PSU basically dying. Just my two cents.🙈👍👶✝
I already installed windows and the problem persisted only booting very occasionally to get bsod or reboots with no further info after a couple of minutes . I tested both memory sticks separately and I get the error with just one of them even when in memtest get no errors after 4 phases.

bsod messages I got are: irql less or equal, bug ndis driver, attempted to read only memory failed, kernel mode heap corruption, page fault in non paged area, system thread exception not handled, pfn list corrupt

Last edited:
...so I ran the memtest test on the faulty memory, but after 4 phases it showed 0 errors. how is it possible? I'm pretty sure at this point that the memory module is failing because pc won't boot with it, but is it possible to get no errors on that test and have a faulty memory anyway?
Which memory test did you use? There's a few different ones out there, so I would try a couple of different ones using a live cd/usb and see if that helps.

But generally when a module is bad, it's bad and I think you've determined that. Luckily, most memory has a lifetime warranty so just start the warranty process.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS