Question Faulty motherboard ? Mouse does not register every left click and sometimes it double clicks

mafi

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I have a weird and annoying problem. Mouse left clicks do not register every time and sometimes it double clicks. Right click always work properly.
Sometimes I press right click to open link on a new tab. Then I press left click to open the link and it opens not only in the new tab but also in the main page. I also tested with the windows calculator. Let's say I press on number "5". Sometimes it doesn't type and sometimes types "55" instead of "5"
The problem won't disappear after trying a different mouse and a different USB port.

Today I removed the battery from the motherboard to reset the BIOS and removed both RAM sticks. Then I installed only one memory stick . The problem completely disappeared and the mouse worked perfectly. Then I installed the second memory stick.
Right now the mouse works perfectly with both memory sticks in dual channel. But I am sure the problem will reappear in the future after a period of time because I already experienced the same problem in the past.
I tested both memory sticks with bootable Memstest and the test was passed with no errors.

Lutfij

Titan
By any chance are you working with a laptop? It reads to me like the keyboard's SHIFT key is either depressed or a combination of keys stuck in your laptop's keyboard/keypad. If this is indeed a laptop, please mention the make and model of said laptop alongside it's SKU.

I doubt the ram or motherboard would be responsible for the anomaly you've mentioned since the issue is either software(OS and/or drivers) or hardware(trackpad or keyboard).

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Make and model mouse?

Try the mouse on another known working computer.

Try another known working mouse on your computer.

Determine (over the necessary time pattern) if the clicking problems follow the mouse or stays with the computer.

Could be a failed/failing mouse button.

= = = =

That said: have you tried manually downloading the applicable mouse drivers directly from the manufacturer's website?

Reinstall and reconfigure.

Could simply be buggy or corrupted mouse drivers.

mafi

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
By any chance are you working with a laptop? It reads to me like the keyboard's SHIFT key is either depressed or a combination of keys stuck in your laptop's keyboard/keypad. If this is indeed a laptop, please mention the make and model of said laptop alongside it's SKU.

I doubt the ram or motherboard would be responsible for the anomaly you've mentioned since the issue is either software(OS and/or drivers) or hardware(trackpad or keyboard).

My system configuratior is a desktop:
Core i7 4790K
Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard
16 GB(2x8Gb) DDR3 2400 Mhz Corsair Vengeance
Windows 10