[SOLVED] Faulty Motherboard? No idea with this.

May 19, 2020
Funny situation here, I have had no apparent issues with my PC for a long time now and yet I could not get my PC to boot up this morning, was fine when shutdown.

So I did the usual, checked connections, things are in correctly, no dust in my pc I keep it very clean but made sure to blow out all slots etc.

Only thing I have not checked is CPU but when PC is on no issues.

So if I turn it on, it displays NO SIGNAL, no keyboard or mouse lights, all fans are on, NO POST BEEP, NO BIOS

So after 10 seconds it goes off for a split second and repeats this cycle, left it for a while and never gets POST.

So I swapped in a known good PSU and no difference.

Swapped CMOS Battery for new one, no difference.

Tried with only HDD with OS, no diff.

Tried on board graphics, no diff.

Took out a slot of ram, AHA! Back to working, ran it for the whole day no issues ran games, did rendering, lots of stress and did not blink it was perfect (minus 4gb RAM)

Finally shut her down and reboot.

Guess what? Yep. Back to square one

I took out another slot of RAM and it booted. Again all perfect no issues once it booted.

Shut her down again and would not start again, always the same issues, NO POST, NO SIGNAL etc.

I only have 3 sticks of ram so if i take the last one out it will not run anyway and I am fairly sure there is no fault with my RAM I have ran Mem Diag Tool with nothing found when all 3 RAM were installed.

So I put one of the two I took out back in and yep, she works again,

So I now have to either remove or replace some RAM to get my PC to boot but there is no problems once it boots but boy am I getting a sore neck doing it every few hours when I turn it off (I don't like having it on unless i am using it, so i won't leave it booted)

I am thinking it is the Motherboard as all the other hardware seems to work fine, I am fairly sure my CPU is seated as otherwise I don't think it would run so smooth but there is no signs of visual damage on anything (i.e. swollen parts, burnt parts etc.) and as the ram is acknowledged once I swap it around the slots I don't think the slots themselves are faulty but I have limited knowledge of the intricacy of them to be honest so I am now left bowing down to those whom have more knowledge than I.

If you are one of those then I await the response!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
The reason I referenced RAM and the manual was because mixed RAM is installed.

I.e.,

"2x Kingston 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 (KHX16C9T3K2/8X)"

"1x Crucial 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 (CT102464BA160B)"

16 GB total - correct?

And by swapping RAM in and out you were able to get the PC to boot.

And I have no explanation as to why the past RAM configuration worked for a couple of years and now does not work.

If you were starting from scratch I would recommend a 2 x 8GB matched module kit for dual channel memory.

What size is your boot drive and how full is the drive?

Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance - determine what resources are being used and to what extent. Especially RAM.

Look in Reliability History and...
May 19, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSUs and RAM modules.

Apologies.

OS -Windows 10 - Build 18363 (Installed on SSD)

CPU - i5-4460 3.2GHz (Haswell) (Socket 1150)

BIOS -American Megatrends - F2

MoBo - Gigabyte B85-HD3 - Rev 2.1

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX960

RAM 2x Kingston 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 (KHX16C9T3K2/8X)

1x Crucial 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 (CT102464BA160B)

PSU - (currently AeroCool Integrator 600W) I was running a FSP 500W recently with no issues.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a close read of your motherboard's User Manual.

Reference:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b85-hd3_v2.1_e.pdf

(Be sure to verify that I found the applicable manual).

Supported RAM is listed in Section 1-2, physically numbered Page 7. ( Do note the instruction to go to Gigabyte's website for the latest information.)

Also refer to Section 1-4, physically numbered Page 10, to ensure that you are using a supported RAM configuration.

Hopefully the problem is just mismatched/misconfigured RAM instead of the Motherboard.

May 19, 2020
Take a close read of your motherboard's User Manual.

Reference:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b85-hd3_v2.1_e.pdf

(Be sure to verify that I found the applicable manual).

Supported RAM is listed in Section 1-2, physically numbered Page 7. ( Do note the instruction to go to Gigabyte's website for the latest information.)

Also refer to Section 1-4, physically numbered Page 10, to ensure that you are using a supported RAM configuration.

Hopefully the problem is just mismatched/misconfigured RAM instead of the Motherboard.

Forgive my ignorance, but upon reading the manual (I have the original here in my hand and it is same as above)

I cannot see anything that points to my RAM as the issue in the manual, no less the fact it has been in the same setup for the last couple of years and never had a problem until recently, which is strange do you agree?

I am still scratching my head here, although I have found putting PC to Sleep is a workaround for now.

Ralston18

Titan
The reason I referenced RAM and the manual was because mixed RAM is installed.

I.e.,

"2x Kingston 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 (KHX16C9T3K2/8X)"

"1x Crucial 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 (CT102464BA160B)"

16 GB total - correct?

And by swapping RAM in and out you were able to get the PC to boot.

And I have no explanation as to why the past RAM configuration worked for a couple of years and now does not work.

If you were starting from scratch I would recommend a 2 x 8GB matched module kit for dual channel memory.

What size is your boot drive and how full is the drive?

Try using Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance - determine what resources are being used and to what extent. Especially RAM.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer - either one or both may be capturing some relevant error codes or warnings.

Solution
May 16, 2020
I have a similar issue, though it's quite bipolar.

For me unplugging the pc and taking out the CMOS battery, and then reinstalling it after a few seconds lets me boot it up again.

This usually fixes it for a few days, then I need to do it again for whatever reason.

here are my specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: zotac amp extreme gtx 1080
RAM: 2x 8gb Corsair Vengance
mobo: Asus B450M-A
SSD: samsung 970 evo 1TB (boot drive)
HDD: WD 4TB
PSU: Bequiet 630w

TRENDING THREADS