Question Faulty Power Supply ?

mafi

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I have a really weird problem.
My PSU is a 2017 750W Corsair RM750W Gold certified.
In the autumn of 2022 when I had the same PSU, an i7 4790K, 16GB RAM and a GTX 1660Ti, my PC started to randomly restart or even shut. At first it happened once every 2-3 days, later several times a times a day until my PC simply failed to post.
I removed the CMOS battery and disconnected HDD, SSD, the GPU.
I was able to boot only with one kit of Ram, and the integrated graphics card. Then I installed the second memory Kit, the SSD, the HDD, and the GPU.
How did I solve the problem ? I disconnected all the case fans. Even before I was running my PC with the case opened.
Then everything went fine.

This summer I upgraded to AMD Ryzen 7700, 32GB DDR5 6000 and RTX 4070, replaced the old case with a new one, but kept the old PSU.
A day after installing the new case and connecting the case fans my PC started crashing again. The next day it simply failed to post.
I took the same steps like two years ago and disconnected all case fans and run my PC with the case opened. Now everything works fine.
I undervolted the CPU and limited the max turbo boost frequency to 5 Ghz instead of 5.3 Ghz and now it doesn't exceed 70 degrees Celsius even in stress tests and it's 100% stable.
I remember MSI Afterburner showing around130W power consumption for the 1660Ti in stress test when the GPU was at 100% usage.
Now it shows around 200W for the RTX 4070 at 100% load. I can run stress test or play intensive games without any problem as long as there's no case fan running.

And I have another problem with Windows 11. Sometimes the spinning wheel gets stuck and windows won't boot. Another time windows boots, I can move the mouse pointer but windows is very unresponsive and I have to restart or shut down.

Lutfij

Titan
This summer I upgraded to AMD Ryzen 7700, 32GB DDR5 6000 and RTX 4070, replaced the old case with a new one, but kept the old PSU.
Did you reinstall the OS in offline mode, later installing all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command? BIOS version for your motherboard?

mafi

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Did you reinstall the OS in offline mode, later installing all drivers with the latest version in an elevated command? BIOS version for your motherboard?
I made a bootable windows 11 USB flash drive and did a fresh install.
Motherboard is MSI PRO B650M-P.
BIOS version is 7E27v1A (June 2024)
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B650M-P/support
What's the brand and model of the RAM?
Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000 CL30, AMD EXPO compatible.