Question Faulty psu or am I pushing it too hard?

Jul 17, 2019
Hi everyone, I just finished my first build last weekend. Components were:
  • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • Intel i5-9600k
  • 16 GB RAM
  • EVGA Geforce RTX 2060 Super
  • Corsair CX750 80 Plus Bronze
  • Hyper 212 EVO for cooling

I immediately had one big problem with the build: the computer would randomly reboot after 10-20 minutes of one particular game (Overwatch). It worked fine with everything else (including Witcher 3 on ultra settings), I monitored the GPU and CPU to make sure the system wasn't overheating (it wasn't), and it passed testing with Furmark, Prime95, and Memtest86. So, having eliminated other potential problems, I decided the problem might be the PSU and replaced my old one with the Corsair Vengeance 750M, which is a slight upgrade.

I tested Overwatch again while lowering the default settings (which I was using when it crashed before) from "ultra" to "high" and turning on VSync. No reboots, everything looked good in terms of temperature monitoring. I tested a little bit more by going back to the default settings. Again no rebooting, but I noticed something interesting: turning off VSync would cause the GPU to use about 40 more watts (up to 140) and raise the TDP from 40-50% to 80%, even though the load on the GPU remained stable at around 40%.

So, here is my question: should I be concerned that I'm pushing the PSU or GPU too hard by using the default settings, or does it look like the reboots were caused by a defective PSU? I'm happy to turn my settings down if they're overloading the PSU too much, since I don't want the reboot problem to reoccur, but I thought the PSU I was using had more than enough power to run the GPU even at its full power consumption. What do you guys think?

Jul 17, 2019
The CX750W was straight out of the box. I assumed that it had some sort of manufacturer defect, but maybe it just wasn't supplying enough power despite the claimed wattage.