Question Faulty RAM Slot

May 17, 2023
So I have a MSI Z-390 A Pro Motherboard with i5-9400f, Asus RTX 3070 and 2 x G-Skill RipJaws 2133Mhz RAMs. The issue is, out of the 4 slots (B1, A1, B2, A2), A1 has completely stopped working. And now when I have only 1 RAM installed in slot A2, as I boot up my PC, after signing in to Windows the screen flashes 1-2 times and after a random amount of time my PC just shuts down. I switched to slot B2 (i know its not optimized) and my PC has been running just fine. What should I do about the faulty slots ?

USAFRet

Titan
So I have a MSI Z-390 A Pro Motherboard with i5-9400f, Asus RTX 3070 and 2 x G-Skill RipJaws 2133Mhz RAMs. The issue is, out of the 4 slots (B1, A1, B2, A2), A1 has completely stopped working. And now when I have only 1 RAM installed in slot A2, as I boot up my PC, after signing in to Windows the screen flashes 1-2 times and after a random amount of time my PC just shuts down. I switched to slot B2 (i know its not optimized) and my PC has been running just fine. What should I do about the faulty slots ?
Nothing you can do about physically failed RAM slots, except to replace the motherboard.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I had this problem on an old motherboard and adopted the same solution you found.

You'll be running in single channel mode instead of dual channel mode, but you might not see much difference in most programs.

When running two sticks of ram, the motherboard manual will designate which are the preferrred pair to use.
But most of the time, the other pair will still work fine.

The most likely cause of a ram issue will be a bent pin in the cpu socket.
If using the other pair of slots does not work for you, remove the cpu and look carefully for a bent socket pin. You can often bend the pin back in position with a needle if you are careful.

Such bent pins are caused by not dropping the cpu in cleanly and smooshing it around.

Reactions: stonecarver