Question Faulty SATA port?

Oct 18, 2022
Good Afternoon,

I recently encountered a problem where my computer started getting pink pixels hard freezes (gaming and idle) followed by BSOD. After I shut it down and try to start it again it wouldn’t even get to the BIOS part. However, after multiple restarts it finally did only to encounter the same problem again a few minutes into my web browsing or gaming. I did notice the red VGA LED light on the motherboard whenever it wouldn’t boot, so naturally I thought it was my GPU. Tried all the standard steps for the GPU and then some other steps (resitting it, rolling back drivers); changing RAM sticks slots, clearing CMOS, resetting BIOS. None of these steps worked.
Then out of curiosity I decided to change my SATA port from 3 to 5 and what do you know? It completely fixed the issue. Ran stress tests for GPU and CPU and everything is working with no crashes and optimal temps.
My question is why was my motherboard telling me it was a GPU problem and how common is it that these kinds of BSODs happen because of a bad SATA port? Was it interfering with my M.2 in some way?

Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-12900KF

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z690 UD AX DDR4 - WiFi, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)

Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 (RGB LED)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready)

Power Supply: 750 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler

Primary Storage: 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s / Gen 3 - Read 3480 MB/s, Write 2100 MB/s

Good Afternoon,

I recently encountered a problem where my computer started getting pink pixels hard freezes (gaming and idle) followed by BSOD. After I shut it down and try to start it again it wouldn’t even get to the BIOS part. However, after multiple restarts it finally did only to encounter the same problem again a few minutes into my web browsing or gaming. I did notice the red VGA LED light on the motherboard whenever it wouldn’t boot, so naturally I thought it was my GPU. Tried all the standard steps for the GPU and then some other steps (resitting it, rolling back drivers); changing RAM sticks slots, clearing CMOS, resetting BIOS. None of these steps worked.
Then out of curiosity I decided to change my SATA port from 3 to 5 and what do you know? It completely fixed the issue. Ran stress tests for GPU and CPU and everything is working with no crashes and optimal temps.
My question is why was my motherboard telling me it was a GPU problem and how common is it that these kinds of BSODs happen because of a bad SATA port? Was it interfering with my M.2 in some way?

Specs:
Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-12900KF

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z690 UD AX DDR4 - WiFi, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)

Memory: 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 (RGB LED)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready)

Power Supply: 750 Watt - 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Processor Cooling: iBUYPOWER DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler

Primary Storage: 1TB GIGABYTE AORUS M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD - Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s / Gen 3 - Read 3480 MB/s, Write 2100 MB/s
MB manual should tell you if and which SATA ports are affected by using NVMe drives.