Question Faulty Seasonic GX 650w PSU?

Sep 19, 2021
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Michael321/saved/#view=p9Gygs

Forget about the gigabyte psu thats in link above, i bought LCW 600W instead which sucked and i switched it for SEASONIC GX 650w

Cause its expensive and fully modular, 10 year warranty i thought wow its gonna be good.But its heating and smells like hot metal/burning when its on and i have it just for 2 days, i didnt run the pc more than 30 mins or 1 hour and i played League, i noticed it blowing hot air and i got close to it smell it and it smelt like its gonna burn and i got scared and turned it off.Such high class PSU shouldnt get hot by just playing League and not even playing it for more than 1 game nor should it smell right?

Now i have an old 450w LCW which served me well for 2 years and i was thinking about trying to put it back in pc to test the difference? Would 450w be enough for this pc? Before i go for warranty on SEASONIC one.

It's solder flux you smell. It's gone after a few hours of use. Totally normal.
It feels hot because the fan is in passive mode. Push the 'Hybrid fan' button on the back for continues operation.

Don't use a garbage PSU like a LC Power for your rig.

Sep 19, 2021
It's solder flux you smell. It's gone after a few hours of use. Totally normal.
It feels hot because the fan is in passive mode. Push the 'Hybrid fan' button on the back for continues operation.

Don't use a garbage PSU like a LC Power for your rig.
Yeah i tried pressing the button but i dont feel like much changed, gonna give it a try for couple of days but that smell is so weird along with heat that i was scared it was gonna explode or burn

Hello Shendezare1b2. Yes, the 450 watt PSU supplies enough wattage for you to test your RX 570. No, you should definitely NOT attempt to use the SeaSonic GX-650 since you've detected a burning smell coming from it. Contact SeaSonic and RMA it immediately. Under the circumstance, they should definitely not request that you plug it back into your system for testing purposes. Common sense clearly states that they should take your word for it and approve the return to them.

Sep 19, 2021
Hello Shendezare1b2. Yes, the 450 watt PSU supplies enough wattage for you to test your RX 570. No, you should definitely NOT attempt to use the SeaSonic GX-650 since you've detected a burning smell coming from it. Contact SeaSonic and RMA it immediately. Under the circumstance, they should definitely not request that you plug it back into your system for testing purposes. Common sense clearly states that they should take your word for it and approve the return to them.
I have used it for past whole day because the guy above said it might be a "solder flux" so i wanted to give it a try but it still smells when i get close to it so i will definitely do RMA.Im not super knowledgeable about PSU's or PC components in general but i do know some stuff and it indeed smells like burning and is warm when doing something that shouldnt ve consuming a lot of power.Like should it get warm if i just listen to music on youtube?

Last edited: