Question Fax device between linux and router

May 12, 2020
A fax device is needed, with which it is possible to fax documents from Linux through a router. The Linux variant is Ubuntu focal (main restricted universe multiverse, without PPAs) running on a Dell Latitude E6440. A firm connection between the fax device and the laptop (via a cable or a card) is preferred to a wireless connection (e.g., over bluetooth). The router in question is O₂ HomeBox 2. It is plugged into a TAE socket of the Deutsche Telekom and has TAE sockets of its own. All devices, beginning with small USB faxmodems up to big all-in-one fax devices (which may have tons of other functions), can be considered.

In the past, almost no faxmodem was usable in Linux, as major functionality was implemented in proprietary software. But the times might have changed, so, direct product names would be welcome,

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
A fax device is needed, with which it is possible to fax documents from Linux through a router. The Linux variant is Ubuntu focal (main restricted universe multiverse, without PPAs) running on a Dell Latitude E6440. A firm connection between the fax device and the laptop (via a cable or a card) is preferred to a wireless connection (e.g., over bluetooth). The router in question is O₂ HomeBox 2. It is plugged into a TAE socket of the Deutsche Telekom and has TAE sockets of its own. All devices, beginning with small USB faxmodems up to big all-in-one fax devices (which may have tons of other functions), can be considered.
Are you looking for a print-to-fax capability ?

May 12, 2020
Are you looking for a print-to-fax capability ?
I left it open on purpose. I'm o.k. with printing to the fax device through CUPS (and then some dialogue window would pop up asking for the phone number). I'm also o.k. with starting a standalone application that asks for a PDF/TIFF/PS file and the fax number of the recipient. I'm also o.k. with opening the website, e.g., MyFaxDevice.local in a Web browser, uploading a PDF/TIFF/PS file through that local Web site and entering the fax number of the recipient into a form (though I admit that getting the status of faxing is less reliable in this case).