FBI Investigating Student Laptop, Candy Scandal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Coming soon to DVD...

Philly Schoolgirls Gone WILD!!!

and for those with alternate preferences...

Philly boys in the buff!!!

Using advanced technology and covert operations techniques rivaling those used by the CIA, we are able to bring you more teenagers, more naughtiness, and more of what you're looking for!

And if you order now, you will get, for FREE, a 20-year vacation at any one of several federally-funded vacation spots throughout the U.S. The first 10 callers may even be able to vacation with the producers of this very video!

* Not legal in the United States. Free vacation subject to a discussion amongst 11 of your peers, and to be provided at a location chosen by the federal government. Hotel rooms are typically 5' x 9', and may include another registered guest. Customers may opt out of additional vacation time by registering on national and state sex-offender web sites.

voxleo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Ummm,.... still missing the logic train on the attempted justification of this "security feature" to begin with. If it were a LOJACK, ok, but how is video (with or without sound) still image of any practical value to "determine the location" of the laptop unless the camera happens to point at a recognizable landmark (which is not likely to be where most would use a laptop)? Seems like it might only be useful if you could recognize the person or their surrounding environment which would mean you would have to already know who took it anyway, and since the school gave them to all the students, it wouldn't likely be one of them TAKING it, but someone who wouldn't be known to the people who have access to the remote feature... Am I the only one who thinks that even if that were disclosed up front it just doesn't MAKE SENSE?
No one has responded to my previous comment, perhaps thinking I was being sarcastic or rhetorical, but I wasn't ...I am genuinely perplexed about not understanding the justification the school gave about the remote activation of the webcam as it relates to being a "security" function; Any video/image surveillance wouldn't even serve as an effective deterrent if it is not explicity ADVERTISED as being present, right? BUT If not as a DETERRENT, though, then what practical purpose does it actually serve? Once that bridge is\ crossed wouldn't a GPS or some sort of lojack be much more useful? or even tracking by ip address or feeding a log of all web traffic back to an admin source by RSOP can be done without the whole "spycam" avenue being opened up for criticism.

In earnest, remotely operating the webcam just doesn't strike me as being a practical tool for anything BUT surreptitious surveillance. I would think a photo or video capture may aid in proving guilt in the event of actually having already caught/apprehended a suspect (in which case you might have the more physical evidence like fingerprints or a hair if they were using it...)but beyond that, I keep running into logic holes when trying to imagine how this might serve any practical purpose especially if one is to believe the reassurances that there is only a supposedly minimal number of persons who can invoke the authority to utilize this feature. So for it to be of any use, then those persons would have to be able to interepret/recognize on sight any information/person/place that was captured via the camera so that... what exactly? They can put out an APB? On who =? If the most likely suspects who have the most temptation/reason/opportunity to steal/recover the device (other students from the school) already have access their own device, then that makes for kind of a dumb crime... in all likelyhood that means that anyone who takes it is probably not a part of that community and how is someone operating the remote going to recognize the person who is using it or where they are at that moment UNLESS they were a student at the school? Even if they WERE a student there, I would also imagine that even the principal of the school doesn't know two-thousand faces by name and so even then what good does it do unless you post the image for other people to identify, which then couldn't be of use in locating the device or the theif in any immediately actionable way. It doens't have value as an alarm/alert either since timing the activation of the camera would have to be very serendipitous indeed to capture image of itself being stolen (particularly cuz this is supposed to be an "if reported lost or stolen" scenario to begin with - unless they are trying to catch someone stealing the machine assigned to them and lying about it being stolen?) But if it isn't the student they are targeting in this scenario, then it seems to me, that you can't use any images taken of someone that hasn't actually entered the agreement to any useful end either, particulary images taken without their knowledge if they were on their OWN private property at the time?.

Basically, I can't think of any but the most unlikely and obscure possible scenarios where remote operation of the webcam could be considered some feature of "security" (that is, unless we're talking the "HOMELAND" variety).... Am I missing something here?

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
To those missing the point and using the article as an opportunity to bash Apple, just a few FACTS:

1: Many education facilities use macs
2: Mac OS is limited to specific hardware, Windows is NOT(within x86 environments)
3: All recent facility provided Macs I have seen are already set up to dual boot Mac/Windows.
4: Apple has always had a reputation for superior hardware reliability, and they go to great lengths to maintain that reputaion.
5: At volume pricing w/ education facility discounts, pricing is comparable to - though definitely still higher than - other major distributors offering similar hardware.

Several years at George Fox University, the computer included in student tuition was still a PC. The last year that this was the case, their most recent batch of computers from HP had massive failure rates before seeing even 1-2 years of use, and by the end of a normal 4-year term, the rate of units that had at some point failed, was far greater than not.

They now distribute MacBooks to Freshmen, because with far lower failure rates, the price premium of the macs still costs less that it did to pay their Tech staff's wages for the hours spent on repairs, and students are at less of a risk of loosing data.

What does that have to do with the faculty spying on students?

berserker29

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

The comment was directed specifically at those who had asked why a school would use Macs - it HAS happened, there ARE reasons. If you feel the comment was too OT, feel free to remove it.

G-Systems

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Since you've reproached your own question with further pontification regarding an apparent egregious usage of legalese to, in my opinion. spy on young, supple teenagers, I'll provide a short response, so that you know that your words have not gone unread. I understand how you feel...I often wonder whether or not I've been considered in the community as well... Normally, a thumbs up--or down--serves in enough capacity for me; a direct response is akin to serious [mental] stimulation. So, hopefully, I can provide you some stimulation.

Your reasoning aligns with Einstein in regards to the unjustified use of remote cams to "detect" a theft. In all reality, the mere fact that the vice principal scolded this student for their perceived drug usage/distribution shows that there was a lot more going on than simply theft prevention. Call me perverted or whatever you like, but I am sure that more than one young woman has revealed herself (knowing or unknowingly) across the the lens of her beloved school laptop. It is the reality of the situation. The likelihood of all 2300 students--an average of 52% of the world is female--closing or powering down their computer everytime they left or bathed or decided to further discover their sexuality is equal to the likelihood of me breaking Las Vegas with the same old, MIT techniques that are publicized in movies and television specials...not likely at all...

So no, voxleo... You're missing nothing. But this argument is better served in a court of law...possibly to erect more pain and suffering from the School District-defendant. From everyone on the outside, this is an "apparent" offense...but the facts aren't necessarily forthcoming yet, so we'll have to wait and see. Thus far, the only info has been supplied from our teenaged friend with the Mike-and-Ikes (who has subliminally encouraged me to buy a King Size box in the wake of this incident lol), and we know how teens tell stories--very dramatically with a little bit of solemnity for effect.

That's a cool thing about America: court proceedings are public record...

voxleo

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

:D :lol:

Thank you!It's sometimes hard to catch the nuances of the responses in text alone. I don't know why I felt like everyone was taking this as a mis-application (albeit a purposeful one) of a normally acceptable or plausible scenario rather than a flat-out bald-faced excuse for sneaky peeking from the get-go.

... Stimulation received and appreciated. :)

G

It wouldn't surprise me that the FBI is able to enable audio on a remote computer over the internet....

I've never been fond of integrated mics and cams, or even wireless.
Most people who are somewhat tech savvy, want a hardware switch on those things. If it where for powersaving reasons only, a software switch could do, but for privacy a hardware switch is still the best (as it can't be circumvented through the web).

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Forgetting the student aspect of it, as they being under 18 dont have the readily accessible constitutional rights of adults -- The fact still remains that this device was activated by a government ran agency in a private home owned by an adult. Forget anything else. This should be nipped in the bud. If some one activated a spying device on an adult, this would be an opened and closed case -- School would loose. I'd seriously focus on the fact this was inside the parents home if I was the lawyer for the child.

xzcorkey14zx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I can guarantee you that this kid was not getting in trouble for eating what looked like pills. Here's how it went down: The kid borrowed the laptop for use at home from the school (which is what it was designed for). The kid took it upon himself to use the computer to access sites that were not appropriate for a student of his age (I'll leave the imagination up to you) and when the school found out they decided to do something about it. I assure you that the FBI would be tearing people a new one if this matter were as it seems. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT CONDONE ILLEGAL WIRETAPPING and I think that this school deserves the punishment that it's going to get for this matter, but I assure you that this is not all of the story. I'll leak, just wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.