FBI Releases Gamergate File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurin_

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
So basically a whole bunch of nothing. The idea that Gamers hate women because reasons never made any sense, and was obviously a smokescreen journalists invented to cover up evidence of their own malfeasance.

Now journalists complain about being called 'fake news', and that people wont believe all their negative stories about Trump. Guess what, credibility is not a boomerang, it will not come back after you trow it away.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
This is a biased load of crap right here. Is this an opinion piece or a report?

The gamergate community was diverse and not at all centralized. To dismiss the vast majority, that were concerned about ethics in journalism, as secret misogynists because there were trolls that identified themselves part of gamergate is totally dishonest and not anything close to an accurate representation of the events.

Also, your wording seems to imply that everyone involved in gamergate is somehow responsible for these nutcases sending death threats.

Japanlol

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
That threat you quoted in your article was an attempt by someone to get a GG supporter (Youtuber Mr. Repzion) into trouble. He made a video about it. Look for it - the title is "The FBI Visited Me Today - Anita Sarkeesian Does Not Deserve Threats".

Also 8chan's Baphomet board is not a GG board. It is filled with trolls who attacked people on both sides of the controversy because they wished to cause drama for fun.

Model76

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017
"We have over 9000 bombs" and "You all need a hug, some tea, and maybe a gentle back massage", etc.

This was OBVIOUSLY meant as a joke. The One Who Shall Not Be Named simply chose to not take it as one - because that is exactly how she makes her money: Creating drama.

Japanlol

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

Not only a joke. An attempt by someone to get a GAMERGATE SUPPORTING Youtuber into trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmuKqKAIb4

Another threat against Brianna Wu (also mentioned in the docs) came from this guy, a comedian/performance artist who was pretending to be a GGer. It's been common knowledge for a long time, yet the writer doesn't feel the need to mention any of this.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/gamergates-archvillain-is-really-a-trolling-sketch-comedian?utm_term=.caPJno0Bd#.fueE5k8oQ

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
So the point of this article is to say that the FBI cant find a few deranged commenters and reprobates on the public,traceable internet? So the moral of the story is what make all the threats you want on any public forum and once you use a modicum of covering your tracks the FBI wont be bothered to find and charge you?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
No, the amount of effort (or lack, thereof) probably had more to do with the lack of any physical violence or injury.

With the number of murders in this country, the amount of fraud, and now hackers blackmailing and extorting people, the FBI obviously has bigger fish to fry.

So, I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it would be naive to draw any conclusions about their investigative capabilities, from this incident.

Fuel to add to, or draw attention to, gamergate, in other words. Statistically speaking, there are far more trolls and mentally disturbed "non gamers" the world over. Those so intent on dictating/influencing what gaming content should be for gamers and the industry, will in time hopefully learn to get over it.

But I thought gaming was what led(inspired) people to go on killing sprees. That means the majority are disturbed.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

I think if you look at various groups that's true, but the scale and intensity of the gamer denial, hate and misogyny shows they have a very real problem.

Just look at the comments here, LOL!

Funny you should say that nutjob, I find the gamer community (PC more specifically) to be one of the most chill communities you'll find. Case and point, this site. You won't find much more helpful people on the internet than you will here. Yeah, you'll get a few nutjobs in the gaming community that are heavily influenced by the violence, or display hateful feelings towards others for various reasons, or even just some of the younger crowd spewing nonsense, but the majority of gamers I know are decent, friendly people.

I don't know if you've ever looked around here, but you won't often find members getting into heated arguments, maybe a brand war here and there, but it typically stays civil, and people present educated thoughts and opinions. Not name calling, and finger pointing.

From my experience, the people that are so quick to point a finger, degrade, and stereotype an entire group of people because of the actions of a few, are the ones that need to step back, look at their own life, and enjoy(or not) the irony.

No one has made anything up on this thread. You accuse others of trying to support their "twisted goals" and here you've proven to be just about the only one doing so attempting to stigmatize those who've commented by likening them to Trump supporters. This thread has nothing to do with a political figure or the president. Implying Trump supporters somehow deserve to be looked down on, or feel ashamed, is also a cheap shot and your own false assumption, which also has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Wishful thinking but No as time has shown the "squeaky wheel gets the grease", those that constantly complain and point fingers are often given what they want. So they will stop whining, even if their point is ridiculous or just aids their group. I see it all the time in the gaming blogs.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Look, guys, no one community or group should be defined by its worst or most extreme members. Beyond that, it's not constructive to try to make generalizations, apply labels, or lump these people with that group, etc.

Can we agree on that and just give this thread a rest? Otherwise, I don't see any good coming from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.