FCC Fines Verizon Over Supercookie Probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy2020

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
1.35 Million...oh, no, someone had to look in the couch cushions. Toothless. How is this even going to be monitored and enforced?

Joe Black

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
The thing with these schemes are that they are usually so profitable that a little slap on the wrist will not deter people from going for it. The problem is much more serious that they let on. Of course if people enjoy privacy from companies then people will gripe more about privacy from government... Just saying.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
the fine should have been $135million (ON HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE)
Verizon probably smiled, shook hands with the FCC and wrote off the loss without any foreseeable impact to their business.

mrmez

Splendid
"The FCC carried out a lengthy investigation that began in December 2014"

"would like to acknowledge Verizon Wireless’s cooperation during the course of this investigation"

Yep. Sounds like they fully co-operated.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
the fine should have been $135million (ON HUNDRED AND THIRTY-FIVE)
Verizon probably smiled, shook hands with the FCC and wrote off the loss without any foreseeable impact to their business.

Dude, don't say that... I heard that they would have to go for a week without soy latte in their office kitchen. Can you imagine the horror??

On a more serious note though, I think that the only way to stop this kind of mass data theft is to consider it legally as espionage. And if you think about it, there is no way of telling where that data can end up and for what use, as we see from the article. This should be a very serious offence against national security.

1.35 million! LOL
what is that like a penny per customer?
And how much to they charge for your info? 50 cents per person maybe? Or maybe more? I don't know but I've heard your private information is way more valuable that you would imagine.

techuser1

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
1.35 Million? If Verizon made 5 million selling the data why would they stop. Verizon execs are probably laughing at the FCC. Well, at least the FCC is making them change their policy. I guess we'll have to see how that goes.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Fines should always be more than what was made from the offending action. If they made $20 million for selling that data, the fine should be $30 million.

bikerepairman1

Reputable
May 22, 2015
They should do the same to every site which uses tracking cookies! I have policies here that all cookies are destroyed after closing the tab. Even simple harmless cookies!

f-14

Distinguished
So uhh. When is the fcc going to go after the NSA?
the NSA is just regulating commerce as per the commerce clause:
Constitution of the United States Article. I.Section. 8.
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Status
Not open for further replies.