FCC: Nintendo Switch Doesn't Have A Removable Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
The more I hear, the less interested I am. tbh, they just about lost me at tablet. It's why I didn't buy the Wii U. I don't want a freaking tablet, I want a freaking console.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Great, Nintendo joins in on planned obsolescence.

Until the battery technology is developed that prevents well used devices from having batteries that work about half as well in 2 years, all these companies are saying to you (including cellphone companies) is we want to squeeze you for $500 again in 2 years, or we care more about aesthetics and making a device "look cool" than properly servicing our customers.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The FCC didn't announce anything. Instead for it to be sold here in the US the device needed to be submitted to the FCC for review and approval, which it received and subsequently they release the review of the device, which is public record.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
"The more I hear, the less interested I am. tbh, they just about lost me at tablet. It's why I didn't buy the Wii U. I don't want a freaking tablet, I want a freaking console."
I'm completely the opposite. I already have a home gaming device (My PC) which means the Switch only needs to either:
-Have games that are worth owning it for
-Have portability my PC lacks

So for me, it ticks both boxes.

eyencee

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
It's quite possible that the two controllers that attach to it in wireless mode also serve as additional power sources like power packs according to the battery life specs the length would support my theory just saying

pmerritt

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
They may have a chargeable power brick in mind for gaming on the go.....just as many phones do. If you don't mind carrying batteries then why would you mind carrying a power brick? Think OUTSIDE the box peeps!

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008

I was desperately hoping for a Nintendo Game pad without the "Console" part. Requiring only a dongle that attached to your HDTV to receive the video signal. Having a box that I have to dock the game pad to is a MASSIVE STEP BACKWARDS from the two screen gaming experience that has been a Nintendo Hallmark with the Wii U and 3DS. I just don't see the appeal of the "DOCK" .... it's asinine.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

I suspect the dock allows it to fulfill at least two functions without the user needing to do anything (Transfer audio and video to the TV, and charge the device) which is easier for the "average Joe" that plugging in an HDMI, and then a charging port. On top of that, it could also be a "hub" for multiple units (As they only need to connect to the console base, not eachother). That would also allow one user to simply buy more controllers for splitscreen, as opposed to more tablets. Lastly, while it is unlikely, they could use it like a GPU or cooling block as well, potentially letting the tablet punch above its weight.

Until we actually have all the information on it, I'm going to remain tenuously hopeful.

tacgnol06

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
Own a New 3DS XL and Vita (OLED model). Battery life is passable on the 3DS and mediocre on the Vita, but I've seen a noticeable drop in performance over the years in either case. That, and I insist on keeping car chargers for all of my portable devices. From GBA SP to 3DS, I've never had the need to replace a rechargeable battery.

Now, needing a screwdriver to replace the micro SD card IS bullocks.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

The Vita needs a screwdriver for card swap? Ouch.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No it doesn't not at all. Also it doesn't even take SD cards.

RomeoReject

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

...But I have a 3DS, and all I do to swap SD cards is to pop open the little SD cover (Tension fit) and click out the SD card (Sprung switch). Why do you need a screwdriver?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I have no idea where that comment came from, neither system requires a screwdriver to switch cards.

Flame_Runner_Fast

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015
+Rogue Leader the "New" 3DS XL and regular requires you to remove the back plate in order to switch out your micro sd card. None of the other 3DS models have this design.

Status
Not open for further replies.