FCC Stops Looking To Include Wireless Access In Broadband Definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fait

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
Ajit Pai is the typical D.C. moron making decisions about things he is completely and blissfully ignorant of. Worst...FCC Chairman....ever.

Sveg

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
This was nothing more then lowering a defined method of service speed allowing barrel scraping service providers to fly a false flag.
Sadly this causes consumer confusion thinking (WooHoo; I have Broadband!).
Yet nothing changed from the previous week other than a title and cost change for such a title.

Nutshell: They lowered requirements of a title and improved nothing with the sneaky intention of using such a grossly broad title for false "Broadband" funding.

D

Deleted member 2449095

"The FCC maintains that net neutrality regulations stifled broadband deployment. It also argues that its current policies are meeting its mandate to expand U.S. broadband internet access."

That's some strange reasoning. Removing net neutrality will remove the incentive for ISP's to continue develop their network. Increasing demand for faster connections due to people streaming video, music, etc. to their mobile devices or at home has driven the speeds in my country to crazy levels. I have 250/20 mbps connection from my cable provider. The biggest companies offering wired telephone connections offer optical connection. Speeds at 300mbps downlink and more.

I feel for US people.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Did you guys read the article before bashing Pai? The commission is not reducing the requirements to be considered broadband and is not using wireless internet as a substitute. Pai originally planned to lump it together with a lower standard, but opted not to.

The takeaway from this article are 3 things. If you don't want to bother reading it.
a) The FCC broadband definition is 25mb up/3mb down or 10/1 for wireless.
b) The FCC has taken steps to reduce barriers in broadband infrastructure development.
c) The FCC plans to increase funding for rural broadband deployment.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
I'm sure allowing wireless to have a slower definition of broadband and keeping it separate doesn't have any negative motives for screwing the public on a future decision.

Let's see... reduce the requirement for wireless... means wireless providers dont need to upgrade anything once again. Increased funding to rural deployment means wireless peeps can now grossly undercut local wired options for deployment since they are held to lower speed standard and all they need to do is build a few extra towers and reap all the bonus money that they won't fully use.... Seems legit.

Whatever Verizon needs Pai will be there to help.

Support state attorney generals suing the FCC! This repeal is a massive disservice to the citizens of America.
http://fortune.com/2018/01/16/net-neutrality-fcc-states-lawsuit/

Corporations that supported the repeal were the biggest beneficiaries.
And Pai's findings and studies he reviewed were based on studies backed by the companies that would benefit the most.
They ignored a 2 billion dollar investment that Sprint made. And while a few major companies cut back slightly most actually increased investment during this time.

"Free Press also notes that while AT&T and a few other publicly traded ISPs may have reduced spending after net neutrality, twice as many increased their investment levels."

Read more: Does Net Neutrality Stifle Investment and Innovation? | Investopedia https://www.investopedia.com/insights/does-net-neutrality-stifle-investment-and-innovation/#ixzz551m5IWGI

Status
Not open for further replies.