Question Feasibility of Using SSD for TV Application

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I use my Desktop PC for watching live and recorded TV. As such, it sees some constant use. For example, when watching live TV, it constantly records so that pause and replay functions work. I currently use a HDD for this, and it works fine, but the question came to me as to how well an SSD would work instead of an HDD. I know that in principle it would work, but would the constant use wear out an SSD in fairly short order?

kanewolf

Titan
Would the constant writing wear out an SSD? Yes. How SOON is really the question. You would have to figure out the bytes written per hour of recording and use the total bytes written specification of the SSD. Consumer SSDs are not intended for continuous write environments like video recording. Also the cost of equivalent hours of storage would be high compared to HDD. With 4TB disks available for about $100, SSD can't compete cost wise.

Reactions: ktriebol
U maybe overthinking this with SSD not having any advantage other than maybe quieter, sips less power, less heat?

Am using 2 HD in my server, one to hold my permanent collection, where changes are rare (this drive gets backed up), and a second "scratch" drive for the live TV, recordings that gets constantly added/deleted etc and I don't care if this drive dies on me but does most of the everyday grunt work.