FEATURE: THE BEST OF CES '09: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, broadband speeds in North Amerca aren't much to write home about. In fact, we're so far behind in broadband technology it's pretty depressing. We're talking a lot of lag here for first person shooter type games. No one wants lag. We can see this being sucessful with slower games like RTS, platformers, etc.

Second, there's the issue of resolution. With the state of North American net connections, we're not going to be able to play games at very high resolutions. We'll be lucky if we can play anything beyond 720p.

Third, most ISPs these days are capping customer bandwidth usage down to miniscule chunks. Don't expect to play for too long with high resolution video constantly streaming to your PC. Instead, expect large connection bills sent to you.
..... AMD Fusion Rendering cloud: win; North American ISPs: fail.
Very true.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
The Asus keyboard looks cool and all but it seems to lack a number pad.

I would have no problem with them using the top of the keyboard as a display (like the G15 but bigger, much bigger).

Or am I the only person that finds the top number keys unusable(for calculation)?

burazechan

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
3. Charging your mobile devices without all the cords "Powermat"

This technology boasts quite a awesome future if it can be brought to the modern market place. This idea can span further in the future. Possible even combining Intel's display.

8. Intel demonstrates near Minority Report-like 3D touch display

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]engrpiman[/nom]The Asus keyboard looks cool and all but it seems to lack a number pad. I would have no problem with them using the top of the keyboard as a display (like the G15 but bigger, much bigger). Or am I the only person that finds the top number keys unusable(for calculation)?[/citation]

I think that screen can also double as a number pad, touch screen number pad that is.

Pretty cool computer. I want. :)

/ Tuan

traviso

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
3. Charging your mobile devices without all the cords

Until you get cancer from working inches away from this thing for about 20+ years. I'll pass, I'm very pessimistic about high power devices that broadcast even just an inch away.

Guilty until proven innocent in my book.

pheadland

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
The LaserVue displays are also 120 Hz displays, so if you're thinking of using the ultra high contrast screens along with Nvidia's GeForce 3D system, these babies are ready to go.

Nope. The Laservue only supports 60Hz input, which it then multiplies to 120Hz internally. You need a 120Hz input to do Nvidia's 3D trick.

burazechan

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Just so it is know, no "electricity" is being transmitted from the powermatt to the device. It uses a magnetic field to induce electron activity, through stimulation.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
amen. +1.

[citation][nom]Master Exon[/nom]I completely disagree. Lag can destroy timing during jumps, or leave out essential clicks or opportunities to click in RTSs.[/citation]

the_timonator

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
I agree about our ISP's being slower than the rest of the rest oof the worlds it's sad very sad especially when you consider we have Comcast!

Status
Not open for further replies.