Fedora 16 And GNOME Shell: Tested And Reviewed

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks for this set of articles about Fedora and Gnome 3. I read them because I was not getting where gnome 3 was coming from at all, and found it a complete pain in the proverbial. Your clear, considered and in-depth overview has cleared up many frustations and questions and still gave a fair and balanced view of what the gnome 3 people are doing right and wrong (unfortunately still far more wrong than right - maybe they will listen soon). So again, thanks for such a detailed article!

G

One word, and it never lets me down. Blackbox .. old, basic, simple, fast ;-)

G

when i heard gnome announce that all designs in shell are to go to the art department first i fell over laughing- then shook my head. art before function. i use and like unity but i also began using xfce at that point. it is more functional than gnome and the panel has more functionality than gnome 2.x ever did. i knew i made a good choice when i read that xfce is holding off on gtk3 a little longer until the bugs are worked out. someone is doing some thinking- and its not gnome.
eventually i will completely migrate to unity full time but right now it is a mix. my choice. a little xfce4, unity, gnome and kde. i also throw in some old school x. even mixing to get what i want, the only app i use that doesnt quite integrate and look the same is XFE. but i would rather have speed that complete uniformity anyway

Aug 22, 2012
"Verrin said:

I'm really disappointed with the direction Linux has taken in its user interfaces. I was a big fan of Ubuntu until they switched to Unity, and since then I've been jumping from distro-to-distro trying to find a desktop environment that feels comfortable, isn't terribly difficult to wrap my head around, and that is still powerful. I was using GNOME3 for a while with Linux Mint, but even with the heavy extensions, there are certain functions that I can't quite replicate from the GNOME2 heyday. I wasn't able to get into KDE or XFCE either. They feel aged and aren't quite as sleek as other modern desktop environments, even if you try to fix that by adding customs skins.

In the end, I'm downgrading to a much older distro of Ubuntu, and supplementing it with Windows 7. I'll be keeping an eye in the coming years to see how these rusty GUI releases turn out-- hopefully for the better. But for now, linux has lost a lot of its useability and it's flare. I'll miss the days when upgrading to a newer distro actually felt like an upgrade, but maybe after all these mistakes, developers will learn and make Linux exciting again. I'll be waiting to see."

You don't have to distro hop to try different DE's. You complain that you don't like Gnome 3 or Unity but then complain that XFCE, KDE, and LXDE look/feel aged. First off, KDE is more advanced and polished than any environment out there for Linux. Second, if you want Gnome 2.x look and feel you have LXDE, XFCE, MATE, or Cinnamon. Mate and Connamon are by the Linux Mint team and use closer to Gnome 3 and GTK 3 to make it up to date. So really you're just a hypocrite whiner that does not know how to use a computer. Either do the research to find alternatives or customize a UI so that it works for you rather than just complaining and saying you'll go back to Windows. We are all for welcoming newbies into the fold of Linux, but if you're going to be a whiner and moron that can't even use a computer (regardless of OS) then don't even try. You're the kind of person that wants something for free and then complains because it's not quite what you want.

kanki

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Anonymous 04/04/2012: i don't get why you need such an infantile, trollish rethoric in order to make your point. This isn't about "linux is shit". Linux is fine and alive in many peoples desktops (we are after all only talking about "desktop linux", whatever that means). It sure has its share of problems like ALL current environments have, and it is now at a particularly problematic moment regarding its main GUIs. That's all.

I have serious trouble respecting any opinion of an entire OS as "i'm glad that left (linux/windows/MacOS/anything) in the dust" as nothing more that coming from a computer illiterate, possibly just a child. What's more, "Linux" is a kernel, not an OS. And Linux the kernel isn't at all in trouble, in fact is solid as rock and used as the foundation of many devices we all use in a daily basis, not to mention internet servers, corporate environments, HPC and supercomputing (please check wikipedia entry for TOP500 for example).

That said, i also agree that in order to best appeal to the masses, current projects need to rethink their strategies, but NOT how "they whish" they should be rethinked. They really need to listen and they really need to see some reality facts, and learn from the succes (linux kernel, MacOS/Win GUIS/rest of environment and infrastructure) and failures (vista, perceptions on 8.04+ ubuntus) of theirs and other projects.

By dropping the "how i whish i should rethink my strategy" they also would be renouncing to the "shiny and revolutionaire new paradigm" ideas and instead turn to *actually* make a popular product. You also can't have the cake and eat it, that is, you own the project and really can do whatever you want with it (let's overlook the incongruence with "community driven project" here). Just don't come crying when nobody likes it and accuse people of "fearing change" because that sad bullshit. People don't fear change, dudes, whenever change was good, and represented an obvious advance over what was there, people jumped in masses over it. Just deal with the fact this isn't the case, as much as you keep your hand over ears and cuacking "BETTER NEW YOU FEAR CHANGE CUACK CUACK CUACK". It just won't happen.

kanki

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Anonymous 04/04/2012: i don't get why you need such an infantile, trollish rethoric in order to make your point. This isn't about "linux is shit". Linux is fine and alive in many peoples desktops (we are after all only talking about "desktop linux", whatever that means). It sure has its share of problems like ALL current environments have, and it is now at a particularly problematic moment regarding its main GUIs. That's all.

I have serious trouble respecting any opinion of an entire OS as "i'm glad that left (linux/windows/MacOS/anything) in the dust" as nothing more that coming from a computer illiterate, possibly just a child. What's more, "Linux" is a kernel, not an OS. And Linux the kernel isn't at all in trouble, in fact is solid as rock and used as the foundation of many devices we all use in a daily basis, not to mention internet servers, corporate environments, HPC and supercomputing (please check wikipedia entry for TOP500 for example).

That said, i also agree that in order to best appeal to the masses, current projects need to rethink their strategies, but NOT how "they whish" they should be rethinked. They really need to listen and they really need to see some reality facts, and learn from the succes (linux kernel, MacOS/Win GUIS/rest of environment and infrastructure) and failures (vista, perceptions on 8.04+ ubuntus) of theirs and other projects.

By dropping the "how i whish i should rethink my strategy" they also would be renouncing to the "shiny and revolutionaire new paradigm" ideas and instead turn to *actually* make a popular product. You also can't have the cake and eat it, that is, you own the project and really can do whatever you want with it (let's overlook the incongruence with "community driven project" here). Just don't come crying when nobody likes it and accuse people of "fearing change" because that sad bullshit. People don't fear change, dudes, whenever change was good, and represented an obvious advance over what was there, people jumped in masses over it. Just deal with the fact this isn't the case, as much as you keep your hand over ears and cuacking "BETTER NEW YOU FEAR CHANGE CUACK CUACK CUACK". It just won't happen.

fivewall

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
I guess I am one of those rare happy Gnome 3 shell users. I run Ubuntu, could not stand Unity, Switched to GN3 Shell and have been very happy working with this UI. There were a few tweaks that were in order however easy to do with the extensions.

G

I really like gnome 3. Wish mint would have gone with it instead of Fedora. A very complex distro with an easy interface is not such a great combination. Neither is a very easy distro with a windows clone interface. Mint could have given us the best of both worlds. Now, its just kind of a messy landscape in the world of Linux.

G

i HATE kde.... i solved my gnome3 problem

mkultra@mk [ ~ ]$ sudo emerge kde-meta

Status
Not open for further replies.