[SOLVED] Fedora Workstation Update Error

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
I am running Fedora 31, and cannot update to Fedora 32 or install any minor updates to my existing installation of 31. When attempting to see the updates tab in the software center, I receive the error message shown in the attached image. Attempting to install via command line with [dnf update] produces the error [Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: kernel-core]. Adding the parameter [--skip-broken] does not change anything. These problems started occurring after I installed the NVIDIA driver + Control Panel using the commands shown here: [ https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA 1 ] It’s worth noting that I first tried to install them from the software center automatically first, but then uninstalled them because they did not work.

I posted about this problem on the Fedora-Project Forum, but was unable to solve the problem.
This is everything I've for everything I've tried so far: Here

Any help with this problem is much appreciated.
761f22549e66d08d4e5c5df752997f940b22881c.png

Solution
Turns out it was not related to the NVIDIA drivers. To resolve, I did the following:

Marked all "kernel" packages as user-installed with the command:
sudo dnf mark install $(dnf repoquery --installed 'kernel*')

Changed my maximum number of kernels from 1 to 0 [disabling the mechanic altogether]:
Type in terminal: sudo nautilus
Navigate to directory: /etc/dnf
Open: dnf.conf
Set: "installonly_limit" to "0"

Restarted and ran: dnf update
Checked for updates through the software center just to verify that the problem was solved.

NOTE
You may also need to mark the kernel modules as user-installed, but this step is...

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
Update: I used the Gnome Store to install Fedora 32 rather than the terminal, and it worked. It also fixed all of the problems with other updates. The only issue now is that in flatpak, the [org.gnome.Platform] runtime refuses to update.
unknown.png

Reactions: Diddly

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
Apparently, the updates were only fixed temporarily, because the store is now reporting the error again, [dnf update] no longer works, and the flatpak object has errors as well. This happened only about a day after F32 installed.

runner105

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
Turns out it was not related to the NVIDIA drivers. To resolve, I did the following:

Marked all "kernel" packages as user-installed with the command:
sudo dnf mark install $(dnf repoquery --installed 'kernel*')

Changed my maximum number of kernels from 1 to 0 [disabling the mechanic altogether]:
Type in terminal: sudo nautilus
Navigate to directory: /etc/dnf
Open: dnf.conf
Set: "installonly_limit" to "0"

Restarted and ran: dnf update
Checked for updates through the software center just to verify that the problem was solved.

NOTE
You may also need to mark the kernel modules as user-installed, but this step is likely not relevant. [I also forgot the command I used to do this...]

Reactions: Diddly
Solution

TRENDING THREADS