Feds Plan Investigation Into Fraudulent FCC Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FCC relied on comments to support its case to repeal ...

FCC: All of the research shows most of America and the World are for net neutrality.

FCC: McNewGuy open a forum on the FCC website and check all of the reddit pages that are against net neutrality.

FCC: Then we can throw away the research and quote those people.

FCC McNewGuy: Boss, don't you mean all of reddit?

FCC: How are comments for net neutrality going to help us get rid of net neutrality?

FCC: Think McNewGuy Think!

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
This is a joke, right; Democrats are reaching here, implying that the repeal of NN was wrong because comments influenced the decision?

Social media responses are not a measure of American's opinions; ask your self, how do you then measure the silent majority/minority? Remember what the polls said about the Presidential election, Trump was supposed to lose by 10+ points, but the silent majority came out and voted and Trump had a landslide victory! Yet now, Democrats want those opinions 'polls' to be the measure even though they can be, and were extremely false, simply because they work in their favor, and Tom's has fallen into this same delusional thought!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
It's hard to listen to the "silent majority" when they don't speak. Pre-election polls are different from the FCC soliciting input from the citizens it is supposed to be working for.

The "silent majority" was not silent IF they actually voted. They spoke with their votes. Since the FCC's decision was not open to public vote, the comments WERE the way for American's to speak out.

By relating this back to your own example, imagine if Trump won because FAKE votes were cast in HIS favor (which, oddly enough, HE supports investigating even though he won). If FALSE comments were provided to the FCC through the ONLY official means to voice opinions, those comments are as bad (in terms of the FCCs decision) as voter fraud would have been in the election (assuming there was any voter fraud, waiting on that evidence).

Dantte

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

The "silent majority" did in a way vote on the repeal of NN. American is a representative-republic, we elected and appoint officials to case their vote for those they represent. Not everything can goto a public vote, that would be a pure democracy, something America is not but social media would like you to believe. When the FCC case their vote to repeal NN, they spoke for everyone, and the majority won, silent or not. To quote Obama, "elections have consequences."

Bottom line is, if you want NN, there needs to be legislation, we are a nation of laws, and anything that was willy-nilly put in place like NN can just as easily willy-nilly be removed!

Making decisions by social media was tried in Rome at the Colosseum with less than outstanding results.

Neither side has the right answer. Forcing companies with huge investments to offer competitive content without direct compensation is just wrong. Allowing some to stream massive content at the bandwidth expense of others is also wrong.

OTOH . . . the problem started 50+ years ago when politicians caved to lobbying and bribes to give permanent monopolies to cable companies by town, county, etc. No patent or investment deserves protection forever.

Fix the lack of direct competition to cable companies, to telephone companies, and to satellite companies. Then allow all the providers to compete. Until then, some bastardized form of control has to be exerted.

Keep in mind that we are a Republic. The FCC doesn't make these decisions on it's own, congress makes the rules and the FCC has to implement it. The people VOTE for their representatives in congress, to represent them with these decisions. So the social media posts are moot, people are supposed to write to their representatives to vote the repeal down. Let's be realistic, it's not like any social media posts from the trump admin, or the FCC would have changed anyone's mind on how they feel about net neutrality.

It depends on how many votes the fake propaganda from Russia swayed, if the people are really being represented properly right now. I suspect many millions of people voted differently due to the Russian propaganda scheme. With that said the FCC has had an open form to post comments and it was abused(I posted my comment in there as well). Maybe it would change nothing, but I have a feeling if they had 20 million comments against they would think about their political aspirations and it may change how they voted. Meaning they may have thought they were serving the will of the people due to the hijacked comments they in fact were not.

The lack of competition just gets worse each passing year as companies consolidate so I don't foresee this getting better. So we need some basic rules, tossing them out was stupid. We need some basic rules to allow competition regardless if it's a little startup or a huge company like Verizon.

Why "we" don't make the rules better baffles me. I think our politicians have forgotten how to compromise. Seriously getting out of hand one side gets something in the other side, once they have a majority, decides its crap and removes it. Instead of continuous improvement we get this back and forth mess at the end of the day nothing changes.

I think any reasonable person can see there needs to be rules so we don't let virtual monopolies stifle competition and drive prices up as they naturally will since they have stockholders. At the same time a compromise that allows the companies to make more money in certain ways, especially off the very high bandwidth users. It's not rocket science, why our politicians can't get a compromise between the people and business anymore baffles me.

tech4

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

They already are getting their compensation by having tiered speed prices offered for service, 25Mbps, 100Mbps, 1Gbps, that is their money. They shouldn't be allowed to double down and pick and choose if you actually get those speeds depending on what you use it for. The streaming bandwidth at the expense of others is on them too. If they cannot reliably provide a speed to each of their customers in an area, they shouldn't be selling that tier if the infrastructure doesn't support it yet.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

It's not that they have forgotten how to come to a compromise. It's that they refuse to. Large corporations make "campaign contributions" (or in honest terms, bribes) to ensure that they're treated more favorably than the general population. Senators and Representatives are more concerned about ensuring the "campaign contributions" keep flowing into their pockets than they are about representing the interests of the people they actually serve.

Xenophage2112

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I fail to see why this requires an investigation. Even if every comment identity was fake (I'm vehemently anti net neutrality, and my comments were very real), that does not invalidate the opinion expressed in the comment, and it is legally irrelevant to the actions the FCC took. Pro net neutrality statists are simply grasping at straws. You will get your evil rules back in a few years, of that I'm sure. I'll enjoy the momentary victory.

It really comes down to if the politicians were thinking they are doing the people's will and they very well may not be due to so many faked comments. Since you don't support net neutrality, you may feel the other way if there were a ton fake for it comments and that is the direction the bill went.

Status
Not open for further replies.