Feet-on with the Virtuix Omni: Full Oculus Rift Immersion

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Not gonna lie. This looks pretty silly. Still, I can't help this smile on my face looking at the way it works. I just wouldn't want anyone else seeing me using it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
not gonna happen. this product is too too too early in it's life. wait till the oculus has a large user base. maybe arcade like stores will open in it's wake, and this would be perfect there. but not now.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
This is great it jumps a major hurdle in VR gaming and add greatly to the immersion. I can't believe the lame comments worrying about how one would look. VR is the future not only of gaming but also adventure and staycation travel. You could explore caves, jungles, the moon or mars, the space station, the louvre or any museum.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

If that's your first thought, then you have some serious self-esteem issues to work out. You should probably begin a psychotherapy regimen.

1. There is no price yet. (It's still a prototype)

2. It's actually not a treadmill at all. It's just a solid platform and what you're hearing is the foot hitting the platform

While this article explains it a bit, it doesn't show it in the video all that well.

Here's 3 video's that Linus from LinusTechTips has done that shows the Virtuix Omni, explains how it works (currently in prototype and what they want to do before launch), show it in action with different people, and an interview with the inventor.

Virtuix Omni Prototype Unboxing & Technology Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGFuedKS9Mg

Virtuix Omni & Oculus Test Drive - Linus & Slick Virtual Reality Virgins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNr15CTPMk

Virtuix Omni Interview with Jan Goetgeluk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqNZqFjMrU

Hope these video's clear up anything that the article might of missed or isn't shown very well.

banaanc

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
awesome thing, but main problems are jump/sneak/cover etc.

but 12h of gaming would be kind of hard with this and it would be hard to find your beer cause of all the turning :D

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I actually thought itd be dumb when I read the title, but the video came out quite interesting. you just know the price is going to be enormous, but thats to be expected in such a peripheral. lets just hope this kickstarter money helps them improve all the mentioned problems and design a sturdier platform. actually looks like a very fun way to play games.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

its a prototype they are showing. i imagine this is best used with closed can headphones, where even in silence i wouldnt hear much noise

i have parents like that who more or less crapped themselves a few years ago when i played a DS in a restaurant while we were waiting 45 minutes for seats. i believe i was 21 at the time, i think they learned a good lesson about how little i care what others think of me that day, can't really write what i responded to them with because of sanction reason.

yea, this is a bit early, theres no question there, but i have been in a vr setup like this before, i think it was close to 10 or so years ago, the only difference is they didn't have the treadmill thing going for it (its easier to say treadmill than slippery surface)

for me, no, i don't want to go places i can in real life. i have said it for awhile, that if a game came along where all i did was explore an area, and it had no goal at all, i would get it so long as it was cheap and the environment was interesting. so far i believe there is only one game like that, and its Proteus, now just imagine that as a game but with a fantasy world, rendered realistically... i may not pay much, but i would pay for that kind of experience.

249$ = Get the Omni base and shoes, and build the upper support structure yourself.
399$ = OMNI READY PLAYER ONE: Receive a copy of Ready Player One signed by Ernest Cline! Take a peak into the future. And get the full Omni natural motion interface, including platform, shoes, belt, and tracking hardware and software. Get ready to move naturally in VR and enter a new world.

unless that is absolute base cost and they are going for no profit at all, that should gie some indication as to the full price, which in all honesty isn't bad, if they make one where i can jog or even full on run, i may get one for exercise, but honestly, i think its to new for right now, and the real software to blow me away wont happen for another 1 maybe 2 years, and by than there may even be a product revision.

that said, at e3 the oculus people were showing off a game that worked like the doctor who episode blink... anyone know if this was part of the demo?

Status
Not open for further replies.