Ferrari Speeds Into Netbook Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Between the price, the size, and the performance, it's not really a netbook anymore... especially considering the price.

I'd consider it more an ultra-portable laptop that chooses a small footprint over being super-thin.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]TacoBellAssassin[/nom]I guess Acer missed the memo. This product is not a netbook as it breaks a number of netbook specifications, making it a laptop:http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadge [...] 7start.jpg[/citation]
You're forgetting that Ferrari has enough money to break the rules just like they do in F1.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
[citation][nom]FoShizzleDizzle[/nom]You're forgetting that Ferrari has enough money to break the rules just like they do in F1.[/citation]

i'd have to argue that other teams break the rules rather than them. *cough*mclaren*cough*

iquark

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I always wondered when we'd see this after noticing the acer logo on the Ferrari F60 formula 1 car. Not suprised that it's AMD based as Ferrari is also sponsored by AMD in F1 as are a good portion of the other teams. I think BMW-Sauber is Intel sporsored though.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It would have been funny if it cost $200.

I think the bulk of the $200 price overhead from a similiarly speced Acer model comes simply from the painting. Getting a nice auto finish can be a time consuming task if you don't have access to certain things.

carlhenry

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
yikes, its size doesnt make sense (to me) to be considered a netbook.
at least a 9-10 inch max would be, but 11? that has to be a notebook.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
This is where some global organization like the IEEE comes out and says this is the requirements for netbooks vs. notebooks like they finally did with 802.11N. The only people who are capitalizing on this lack of public knowledge is netbook-driven manufacturers. I would say that 10 inches and below is netbook territory and not a blending of a non-standard 11.6".

Tesla1483

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Did they miss the memo? Netbooks are for non-performance-oriented laptops. I'm not sure which demographic they're trying to reach with this one.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I'm going to buy this after I douse my self with some ever potent Axe Body Spray and hair gel. I always go by the golden rule: The more a company spends on marketing, the more they must have spent on R&D.

bachok83

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
forget it. I have a few acer laptops and all of them are flimsy. Keyboard key broke down only after 3 months, touchpad button becomes touch sensitive button (you know, the kind that you dont have to click, a mere touch would make it clicks)...

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
well, I agree this is not really a netbook given the specs, but it is still a decent machine.. I have a Ferrari laptop a few years old and still goes strong; I don't know about other acer laptops, but they made a good product with their Ferrari line so far..
I am interested however when will any netbook manufacturer integrate the Pixel Qi screen (or something similar); that would be mmore useful than other bells and whistles.

cynewulf

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]Did the emblem on the front add to the price?[/citation]Absolutely. Why do you think Macs are so expensive? It certainly isn't anything to do with more advanced hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.