Question Few question and tips about Battery health and usage

WickedSick

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
Hello guys. i have a few question about my Laptop battery and i need some tips about how it's better to get used. i'd be so glad if you guys help me on this.

1. Is it OK to play some medium and low-demand games with my Battery? (Like 2010-2012 games) or i ALWAYS need to play with AC?
  2. Is it OK to plug in and play game?
here's an example scenario :
a)Battery is at 50%. i plug in, play game, battery goes to 100%.
b)i quit the game, do normal and routine jobs on battery (like watching movies and etc.),
c) i plug in and do games again. battery goes to 100% and stays there for at least 40-60 mins.

So, battery half of times goes above 80% and stays there. (I've read too many articles about you SHOULD maintain your battery between 20-80% always). and therefore there could be a health degradation, right?

Thanks in advance.
P.S: i have a gaming laptop. (Acer AN515-54)

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
I've read too many articles about you SHOULD maintain your battery between 20-80% always). .................

That advice is for phone users. It's unreasonable to expect laptop users to be constantly checking the battery meter and plugging in the AC when the charge dips below 20% and unplugging it when it reaches 80%. A few laptop manufacturers do limit the maximum charge to 80% and that can be disabled in the BIOS.

Batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles so using the battery all the time will massively reduce its life. It's usually heat that degrades the battery's lifespan and there's not a lot that can be done about that.

Stop worrying about the health of your battery. If its performance degrades then you can always buy another one and fit it yourself - provided that you're good with a screwdriver and don't mind opening the laptop up. Your Acer is easily serviceable and replacement batteries are widely available.

Reactions: WickedSick

WickedSick

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
That advice is for phone users. It's unreasonable to expect laptop users to be constantly checking the battery meter and plugging in the AC when the charge dips below 20% and unplugging it when it reaches 80%. A few laptop manufacturers do limit the maximum charge to 80% and that can be disabled in the BIOS.

Batteries have a finite number of charge/discharge cycles so using the battery all the time will massively reduce its life. It's usually heat that degrades the battery's lifespan and there's not a lot that can be done about that.

Stop worrying about the health of your battery. If its performance degrades then you can always buy another one and fit it yourself - provided that you're good with a screwdriver and don't mind opening the laptop up. Your Acer is easily serviceable and replacement batteries are widely available.
Thank you for your response.
Problem is Acer services isn't available here. and there isn't 'Original' batteries around here. just i don't know, fake ones or so.

My experience of laptop batteries from 3rd parties is they are a waste of money. They either don’t work or they work but suffer significantly reduced life after a short period of time.

I have my gaming laptop set to stop charging at 80% but I don’t know if your laptop has this feature. Laptop batteries are usually Li-ion which is the same as most phones. Full charge is a high stress state for the battery and avoiding long periods of time at this state can increase the life of the battery. It’s also best to avoid going under 10% if you can.

I try and keep to this but it’s not always possible. My nearly 3 year old iPhone X claims to still have 94% capacity. Only loosing 6% in 3 years is very good.

Reactions: WickedSick

WickedSick

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
My experience of laptop batteries from 3rd parties is th...
Thank you.
I was wondering the same thing, it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to always maintain at 20-80%. it's easy not to let it below 20%, but it's impossible for not letting it gets above 80%, since i play games(which need AC and may goes above 100% and stay there for hours) and routine jobs like movies(which would be on battery).
I have no idea, should i get worried about anything i can do, or just let my battery die and enjoy while it lasts.

I've always bought "compatible" batteries which have worked well and of course are much much cheaper.
compatible batteries are divided to 2-3 degree here.
1st degree ones are quite nice, but hard to find and a WAY expensive. the more degree falls, there would be more degradation of their quality. so, either way i should spend a lot of money which isn't quite OK, or i should buy a cheap one which longs 6 months at it's best.