[SOLVED] Few questions, starting shopping for a budget GTX

May 12, 2020
So I had to get a new desktop on short notice for a SE course I unexpectedly started. Fortunately it was right on time with the stimmy checks because I was broke (and had other expenses). I managed to find an adequate machine ( I got a Dell Inspiron 3671 ) on time/budget constraints, but it came with no graphics card (Integrated Intel UHD 630) which was still better than my old lappy. So now I want to find a passable budget card to pop in. I'm not extremely picky, I plan on getting a better machine in a year if I can find a job with the full stack cert I'll have by then. I just want to be able to play some of the games I can't play. I haven't bought a card in a long, long time, so I am just getting my feet wet looking at the options.
I'm in the US
  • i5-9400 CPU (6 core ~2.9gHz (4.1gHz turbo))
  • 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
  • 24in 1920 * 1080 @60GHz monitor
  • (HDMI and DVI-D (SL))
  • 290W PSU :/
  • </ul>
  • how the hell do I make it stop listing lol
Okay, so Like I said, budget, not too picky (obvs) I was comparing GTX 1050 Ti and 1650 Super, and someplace I found a good deal on what looks like a decent 1650 (not super) for the same price as the 1050Ti, but it's low profile. Member, I'm outta practice here, so if I understand correctly, aside from being smaller, low profile cards don't actually draw power from the PSU? is that right? So what's the catch? What's the drawback to low-profile?
I'm trying to narrow down to what specs matter. Do I care if it's HDMI 2.0 or 2.0b? I know what the difference is, but I'm not entirely sure how it fits into the big picture. I haven't opened it up yet to see how much room, but I get the impression it's not too restrictive, at least the x16 PCIe slot is FH which I believe means full height? It's a mini tower I guess, so I certainly need to check how much room before I buy anything but I don't think I need a low profile card necessarily. I believe if I go for the 1660Super I was looking at first, ($240) I would need to upgrade the PSU. (And I'd rather keep it under 200 anyway) Will my PSU be able to handle the 1650? Dell does sell the 3671 with a 1650 and the same PSU, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a-ok.
So since I'm feeling pretty newbish and I don't want to make a bad choice, I came to the right place to get some friendly advice from people who know better. I know the 1050 won't play some of the games that obvs the 1650 can. I think I saw a game or two that even the 1650 supposedly isn't enough for. No big, I'll play whatever I can. But assuming that I'll be buying a better machine in a year or two and based on my specs.... Guide me, pls?

Also, what's the deal with the 2.9gHz, 4.1 turbo? Do I have to turn that on somewhere? Or does it automatically kick in when I need it?

Last edited:
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Solution