[SOLVED] Few RAM questions for a non "bling" AMD system I'm going to build.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Hi, I'm going to be building a new system and I've decided to go AMD this time around. I'll probably get the Ryzen 5900x since, from what I've read, PBO is sometimes noisier and often not as effective as all core. Of course, I'll have to FIND a 5900x first. :)

So, with all that in mind, I wasn't sure what RAM I should get? Fast and cool is what I'm looking for. Since I'm not going "bling" I don't need to worry about that.

For reference, I'm a photographer so I use Photoshop a lot, but I also do other things in video, so on top of not knowing the sweet spot for RAM speed/CL for a new build/new AMD CPU/new MB, I wasn't sure if I should get 32GB or 64GB? 64GB is generally major overkill for Photoshop, but, as I've recently learned, video editing hogs RAM like nobodies business! lol :) I have 16GB right now and it's just not enough for a lot of things.

The reason I'm not just getting more RAM is because this is an older system and it was time for an upgrade anyways. :)

BTW, it probably doesn't matter, but I have a GTX 1070 right now, which I'll be upgrading to a higher end 3000 series when I can actually find one. :)

Thanks,

DM

Solution
yah you got it backwards. PBO is almost always better than an all core OC. PBO or manual OC depend on quality cooling, so either way you should factor in some nice cooling to get the most out of the cpu.

as for ram, many many options for non rgb there. as noted above, the faster the better for Ryzen. at least 3600 but prices change all the time and you can often find even faster for similar money. not needed to spend $100 more for slightly fatser, but for a few bucks more a bit faster is worth it.
Hi, I'm going to be building a new system and I've decided to go AMD this time around. I'll probably get the Ryzen 5900x since, from what I've read, PBO is sometimes noisier and often not as effective as all core. Of course, I'll have to FIND a 5900x first. :)

So, with all that in mind, I wasn't sure what RAM I should get? Fast and cool is what I'm looking for. Since I'm not going "bling" I don't need to worry about that.

For reference, I'm a photographer so I use Photoshop a lot, but I also do other things in video, so on top of not knowing the sweet spot for RAM speed/CL for a new build/new AMD CPU/new MB, I wasn't sure if I should get 32GB or 64GB? 64GB is generally major overkill for Photoshop, but, as I've recently learned, video editing hogs RAM like nobodies business! lol :) I have 16GB right now and it's just not enough for a lot of things.

The reason I'm not just getting more RAM is because this is an older system and it was time for an upgrade anyways. :)

BTW, it probably doesn't matter, but I have a GTX 1070 right now, which I'll be upgrading to a higher end 3000 series when I can actually find one. :)

Thanks,

DM

Not sure what that even means and where you find such nonsense.

Regarding RAM have a look at 3600mhz. There are plenty of kits available without RGB.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah you got it backwards. PBO is almost always better than an all core OC. PBO or manual OC depend on quality cooling, so either way you should factor in some nice cooling to get the most out of the cpu.

as for ram, many many options for non rgb there. as noted above, the faster the better for Ryzen. at least 3600 but prices change all the time and you can often find even faster for similar money. not needed to spend $100 more for slightly fatser, but for a few bucks more a bit faster is worth it.

Solution
Sorry, I did see the most recent post about AMD vs Intel, but I also read this article.

It's from another site, (my apologies) but I found the topic interesting. It suggested that All Core OCing was actually, usually better then PBO.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/all-core-vs-pbo-overclock-perfomance-in-real-life.1775220/

I'm curious as to your thoughts?

Thanks,

DM
I'm not 100% in the know about Zen3. But I'd say the creator of that thread got a good chip in order to run 4.7ghz @ 1.3v*. I've also seen and read about people's 5900x holding 4.7ghz+ under gaming loads while peaking near 5ghz.

*If it's truly stable.

Last edited:

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
So, based on what you know, and what you've read in that thread, you still recommend the PBO I take it?

Just out of curiosity, since I haven't built an AMD system in quite a while, can the PBO version also do "All Core" OCing? My assumption is that the difference is that the non-PBO labeled version can't do PBO, and can only do "All Core." Would that be correct?

Thanks again, and thanks for taking the time to look at that thread!

DM

So, based on what you know, and what you've read in that thread, you still recommend the PBO I take it?

Just out of curiosity, since I haven't built an AMD system in quite a while, can the PBO version also do "All Core" OCing? My assumption is that the difference is that the non-PBO labeled version can't do PBO, and can only do "All Core." Would that be correct?

Thanks again, and thanks for taking the time to look at that thread!

DM

PBO version??

This is amd not intel, there are no locked and unlocked ryzen 3 cpu's, they're all the same spec.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
correct every ryzen is unlocked and has PBO and such built in. they can work on any amd chipset as well. none of that "z" board and "k" version cpu's like intel likes to do.

do what you want. spend the time manual overclocking or simply enable PBO and be done with it. it's up to you. i've not seen anything that suggests it's worth the time and effort, but if you have the time and desire, then go for it

you can spend a month here getting different answers from different people, or simply take the day and give it a shot. that's half the fun of it really. :)

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Sorry, I think since I haven't gone AMD in years, I misunderstood this chart from the AMD vs Intel review on the front page.

AMD.jpg

I thought the chart meant that AMD had a (for example) 5900X and a 5900X PBO version.

This explains my confusion as to why they were the same price. :/

Sorry for the confusion.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that makes a lot more sense as to what you were thinking. no biggie, there's a lot to know and it's hard to know it all :)

that review was showing the difference with PBO disabled and with it turned on. some also have a manual OC line as well. as you can see turning it on makes a little bit of a difference and is worth doing.

the same review should have info about what they managed with a manual OC to compare to what this chart has in it. you can think of PBO as similar to intel's "turbo boost" feature. if there is power and thermal headroom, it will keep turning up the speed. when it gets too hot or hits power limits, then it stops the OC. it tends to benefit 1-2 cores more than all of them, but then again most of what you do won't use all the cores anyway. the all core speed will be lower than the single core speed, just like with intel's cpu's.