Fiber networking in home

Feb 2, 2018
Hi everyone, just a general question here! I was watching some linus tech tips video (if you haven't watched him check him out) and he recomended decomissioned server hardware (fiber cards in my case) as well performing cheap alternatives to the extortionate prices of fiber hardware bought straight off the bat (brand new). Would it be worth it im just going on the cons that he stated in the video such as scams and the usage of the cards previous workloads. I mean hardware that says its one thing but is a Chinese ripoff type of thing like the fake GTX 750's going round atm. Also he found that some of the hardware he got was very slow and didn't last long due to the hard workloads it had in the previous server / datacenter. My aims in general is just to get faster transfers from my home server to my main rig, i work a lot with software engineering and large files involved in the task and 3D modeling so its rather slow when i want to store the large data to my file server other than local also so i can work with the same data on other machines. I currently have a fiber connection (WAN) from my ISP as the main broadband in my house, E.G. 300MPBS broadband speed but the local network is only Ethernet cat 6. Currently i do the work i need and store it local and move it over to the server when i go to bed... so fiber local networking would be a huge helping hand if you understand what i mean ;)

Im currently under budget as i only work part-time since im in uni and computer science assignments are too much to handle with a 'propper' job XD

Would it be worth investing in more expensive hardware or second hand cheaper decommissioned hardware?

Which fiber cards are you even considering. A 1gbit ethernet is exactly the same speeds as 1gbit fiber. If you are looking at 10gbit cards what do you plan to plug them into. All your equipment including the switches must have fiber ports. 10g copper is much cheaper solution.

Still it is highly likely you have bottlenecks in your disk systems which will limit your speeds.. Many are not even as fast as 1gbit networks. Both ends of the connection must have disk systems that can transfer data at high speed.

And this assumes you are looking to transfer data only inside your house. Internet is going to be limited to the 300mbit plan you purchased.

Feb 2, 2018

Ah right thank you, i will make a plan of action, i have the asus Z170 Pro-Gaming' motherboard that seems to support fast transfers however my server is rather old compared to my main machine, it runs an Ethernet card but its only 100mpbs caped i believe. Thanks for the clarification ill have a look at faster cards for the server to transfer to my machine faster and make other machines in my house run a faster networking card if possible.