Question Fiber PCIE card and Transceiver

LittleCreekHosting

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
I need to know if these will work together and if not can you make any recommendations.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATYW

The only real information that has been given to me by the provider (Cogent) is:

Single Mode
LC
1 gbps

I can see the connector is blue on there end.

They told me to set my equipment to 1000mbps Full Duplex, Auto-Negotiate OFF

My equipment above is being used in a Linux machine running CentOS 7.9.

I have not been able to make a connection using the above so I was thinking of trying this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZRSQM9 with the same card.

When I power up the machine it sees its there. I can run ethtool on it and I can see the details of the transceiver. It seems to me it should work but the state is always "down." I cannot seem to make it come "up."

Can somebody please help me with this? I am new to trying to make fiber work.

I assume you get a different error if you were to check the card with not SFP plugged in at all.

What SFP works with what cards is still a massive headache. Some vendors like cisco or hp intentionally make their equipment incompatible with more generic SFP. They want to sell you a identical product for 10 times the price that has a special code in it that the switch looks for.

Generally you see other errors rather than it just being down.

What you are using is not very common for internet. This would more be used for a private point to point fiber connection. I requires 2 dedicated strands of fiber all the way between the locations. What you much more commonly see when people talk fiber to the home etc is a single fiber strand that is shared by many houses. They use very special optics and a run a protocol called GPON to control access between the clients. What you are using is standard gigabit ethernet hardware.

Have you try swapping/crossing the fiber pairs. The reason it needs 2 fibers is each device transmits on 1 and receives on the other. If both ends have their transmit laser on the same fiber it won't work. It is strange the vendor did not give you a more detailed list of what you need.
1310 and 10 or 20km modules are common but there are many other options. It is also common to use 1550nm optic for point to point fibers.

LittleCreekHosting

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2015
Thanks. This not for a home. This is in a data center. I am connecting my Linux router to Cogent equipment so I cannot do anything with their side. All I have access to is my stuff.

When I run ethtool -m enp1s0 I get a lot of information about the sfp. My concern is the card says 10G but the sfp is 1G. So can I assume if I can see all the info about the transceiver then its compatible with the card?

If the card and the sfp work together I am not sure what to do. Maybe Cogent is not completely ready yet.

This is hard to test without fancy expensive tools. If this was multimode cable that you can generally see light coming out in a dark room. Some cell phone cameras will show infrared light so you might be able to see if there is a signal on one of the ports. Actually the cheaper ones work better because they lack filters. Generally the equipment constantly puts out a light if the port is active.

I am not sure what is does on a pc on a switch you can generally connect the 2 ports on your SFP together with a short cable. This will make a loop. The goal is to see if anything changes. On a switch the port will come up and the switch will detect the loop and disable it.
You do not want to leave this connected this way for long periods of time the signal is so strong on a short loop cable that it will degrade the receiver.

Reactions: LittleCreekHosting