Figuring out if router died or if AC adapter died?

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
I have a powerline adapter connecting my router to an access point (i.e., an old DIR-615 being used as an AP).

Yesterday, when I was going out, I noticed that the powerline adapter was not fully lit up and the power light on the DIR-615 was orange instead of green. I unplugged them both and went out.

When I came back, I tried to plug back in the DIR-615, and nothing happened. No lights turned on whatsoever. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

If I plug my powerline adapter directly into my TV or BD player it works, but my DIR-615 is not responding to its AC adapter.

Solution
As long as the AC adapter is of the same voltage and same or higher wattage rating and the coax plug fits, use it at will. Never hurt to check the polarity but it's been ages since I saw a reversed polarity AC plug.
If you get no light at all the power adapter is likely defective. The orange power light generally means a firmware issue. You could try the hold the reset and plug the router in trick and maybe you get lucky.

Other than that you will need something like a voltage meter to see if the power supply is putting out power to know if the power supply is really bad or the router has some form of major failure.

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
The Powerline adapter definitely is fine. That is not the point.

The thing that I am trying to find out is if the AC adapter is busted or the DIR is busted. No matter which electric outlet I put the AC adapter in, the DIR never lights up.

leftisthominid

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2014
The DIR-615 responded to my external hard drive's AC adapter (which had different power requirements), so now the question is whether to replace the AC adapter or replace the current router and use the current router as the new access point.