Question figuring out ram clearance

antmeyerx

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
so i wanna be sure i have enough ram clearance between my cpu cooler fan and case. how do you guys go figuring this out? i plan on getting the dark rock pro 4, 2 sticks of g.skill trident Z and fractal meshify C design mid tower case.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
If all of the involved components adhere to normal specs there should be no problems.

First with respect to fitting into place and secondly with respect to recommended clearances for air flows/cooling.

However, to be certain you will need to look up the physical measurements (specs) and then measure and otherwise work out how things will actually fit together.

Check Product specs via Technical Spec sheets, User Guides/Manuals, Service Manuals, etc..

If the available space is (for example only) 3/4" and the component is 1", then the component will not fit.

Use a simple sketch to compare actual sizes to available dimensions.

Avoid tight fits that may encroach on the tolerances.

antmeyerx

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
If all of the involved components adhere to normal specs there should be no problems.

First with respect to fitting into place and secondly with respect to recommended clearances for air flows/cooling.

However, to be certain you will need to look up the physical measurements (specs) and then measure and otherwise work out how things will actually fit together.

Check Product specs via Technical Spec sheets, User Guides/Manuals, Service Manuals, etc..

If the available space is (for example only) 3/4" and the component is 1", then the component will not fit.

Use a simple sketch to compare actual sizes to available dimensions.

Avoid tight fits that may encroach on the tolerances.

ahhhh ok so i found a picture of the dark rock pro 4. correct me if i’m wrong but if the dim slot i’m using is directly under the fan it’s 40mm of room and 46mm in between the fan and towers? with that being said the trident z is 44mm tall so i might have to just adjust the fan up a bit?

Yes, but on the DRP4, that is an easy enough adjustment to make.

You will need to remove the center fan to install the cooler, which is no problem; but you'll need to remove the front fan as well. Just keep the fans and retainer clips together, but separated as to middle and rear, because they are different sizes.

Trident Z is 44mm high. It will not fit into closest ram slots next to CPU cooler.

Alternatively you can relocate fan of Dark rock pro 4 to opposite side.

ImageServer.php

G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GVK DIMMs are 42mm high, which is what I have installed on an MSI - X470 Gaming M7 AC. The Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler went-in easily, without having to remove the front fan--and the fan does not touch the tops of the DIMMs.

You might have to jump the fan clips upward by only one fin to have adequate clearance.

Reactions: DMAN999

antmeyerx

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
G.SKILL F4-3200C14D-32GVK DIMMs are 42mm high, which is what I have installed on an MSI - X470 Gaming M7 AC. The Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler went-in easily, without having to remove the front fan--and the fan does not touch the tops of the DIMMs.

You might have to jump the fan clips upward by only one fin to have adequate clearance.
awesome thank you guys i’m stoked to give this air cooler a shot. trying to maximize performance with being quiet :)

antmeyerx

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
It's a nice cooler, and very quiet, IMO.

Installation (on an AMD MB, at least) is a lot easier than some of the YT reviewers claim; so don't be put off by whinge-laden reviews by people who aren't well-acquainted with the proper use of a Phillip's screwdriver.
for sure my main concern is the 2070 i bought with the poor reviews from asus time will tell when i get the rest of the parts to build