[SOLVED] File Explorer not keeping any view settings.

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Looking for help on this issue.

My File Explorer in Win11 is not keeping any of my view settings.

I just built this PC about a month ago, clean install of Win 10, and through the Win updates is now updated to Win11. However, I can get File Explorer to save my view settings and to which monitor it will start on my dual monitor setup.

PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor
AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT
32 GB Ram
Windows 11 Pro (upgraded from Win 10 Pro) 23H2
Dual Acer GF276 Monitors

I have searched this on YT and internet and tried just about every solution from the downloadable repair tool, editing registry, etc.. It saves the settings for all my other apps, and it should be as simple as drag the app window to the monitor you want it opened on and then close app, then next time you open it should keep your settings like position and size of app window.

However, it's only File Explorer that's not saving the settings.

Please help, any advise would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Question:

"However, I can get File Explorer to save my view settings and to which monitor it will start on my dual monitor setup."

[My underline.]

Did you mean to type "can't'?

Open File Explorer.

To the right of the View option do you see three horizontal dots?

If so, click and choose "Options".

Take a look at the current settings in General and View.

Advanced Settings.

= = = =

Also: If you right click an empty area of the desktop doe a drop down menu with "Show more options" appear?

And with those options is the GPU Control Panel listed?

If so, check that your Multiple display is configured as expected.

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Yes, that's correct I meant I "can't".

I have already tried the View Options method to no avail.

Also when right clicking on desktop, Show more options does not appear.

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for those solutions. Tried them and still didn't fix the issue.

The sfc /scannow did detect some errors and fixed them but the File Explorer issue still exists.

I did find out that changing some settings will stay even after closing and reopening like if I uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.

But other options still do not save, most importantly for me are File explorer windows size, position, which monitor and wanting drive letters to display on the main screen. These keep resetting every time File explorer is reopened.

Any more suggestions I can try?

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for those solutions but they didn't work either.

The second one sfc /scannow did find some errors and repaired them. But it didn't fix the File explorer problem.
Are you changing settings via admin or user rights?
I would assume I am. This is my PC and I am the only user, it doesn't stop me and no prompts pop up when I try to change settings. I can turn on and show hidden files and folders.

I can change view settings and apply and apply to all folders.

I can do this at work on my companies laptop with Win11 with a lot less rights. So why it doesn't work on my new PC is annoying.

Ralston18

Titan
In the oval Search "box" normally located in the lower left screen corner type "GPO" without quotes.

Doing so should lead to a screen "Edt group policy" Control Panel.

Click Open.

Being very careful not to change anything explore the various policy Groups.

There is a policy structure in place with many grouping containing multiple layers.

Explore working from top down.

Look for policies regarding your user rights, File Explorer, and files in general.

More specifically look for any policies that are not as you expect with respect to the problems that you are experiencing. Again do not immediately change anything.

If you believe that something may have been changed simply cancel and start over as warranted.

Take your time, read carefully.

Also remember that some rights/permissions are inherited. If a permission is not granted at a higher level then you may not have the permission.

For a summary look see Administrative Templates > All Settings.

However the objective is to find the policy that may be preventing you from saving the view.

And then knowing what specific change is needed to that setting.

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Thanks again. I tried your suggestion, but not sure what I am supposed to be looking for.

What I was looking at was under Administrative Templates>Windows Components>File Explorer in both the Computer Configuration and User Configuration. Everything under File Explorer in these two sections all said "Not Configured"

Just a question, how could any permissions be inherited if this is a clean install of Win10 Pro, then upgraded to Win11 Pro?

Ralston18

Titan
Clean install means the default permissions are in place with respect to Windows 10. Which, unless changed in the interim, would be the same in Windows 11.

How was the Windows 10 clean install done? What process or procedure was used?

Source for Windows 10?

The follow-on question then being how was the upgrade to Windows 11 done?

= = = =

That all said, you mentioned:

"But other options still do not save, most importantly for me are File explorer windows size, position, which monitor and wanting drive letters to display on the main screen. These keep resetting every time File explorer is reopened."

What about using shortcuts?

Select a blank area of the desktop, create a New shortcut, browse for the location, and select the desired drive. Windows will provide a default name but that name can be changed.

Position the Shortcut on the desktop as desired.

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Clean install means the default permissions are in place with respect to Windows 10. Which, unless changed in the interim, would be the same in Windows 11.

How was the Windows 10 clean install done? What process or procedure was used?

Source for Windows 10?

The follow-on question then being how was the upgrade to Windows 11 done?

= = = =

That all said, you mentioned:

"But other options still do not save, most importantly for me are File explorer windows size, position, which monitor and wanting drive letters to display on the main screen. These keep resetting every time File explorer is reopened."

What about using shortcuts?

Select a blank area of the desktop, create a New shortcut, browse for the location, and select the desired drive. Windows will provide a default name but that name can be changed.

Position the Shortcut on the desktop as desired.
That worked. Kind of.

I was able to create a shortcut of a drive I wanted on my second monitor. Can reposition icon/shortcut only and rename it.

This does help to get File explorer on my second monitor. But still won't keep the windows size, position and other view settings after closing and opening again.

Win10 was installed from a usb drive. Hardly changed anything other setting it up during Win10 initial startup and setup. Then while doing windows updates, I was installing all my games and apps I want. Then eventually updated to Win11 through the Windows updates.

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure what else to suggest.

Indeed Windows seems to want to rearrange the desktop icons etc.. from time to time for whatever reasons. No matter what I configured or set.

Happens on my computers 2 or 3 times a year.

Sometimes after some update or configuration change that was made. Unexpected consequences...

I just drag everything back into place etc. as necessary and move on. Nuisance level and just have not bothered to delve much more deeply into the issue.

Was not worth some script (Powershell) to automatically reset everything. Actually got cumbersome to work with and maintain. ROI very low.

I did solve some of the problem by reducing and otherwise simplifying the number of icons and locations. Made it easier to restore.

Plus, we all now do dozens of clicks per day so one or two more clicks to open something along with some mouse work to size the window - not a problem. I just do it....

Actually sometimes the windows that did open were not needed and I ended up just having to close them again.

And I use the Task bar more.

Yes. It would be nice if Windows and other OSs of any sort would simply leave end user configurations alone and intact as much as possible. Especially cosmetics....

Will leave it at that.

Reactions: mutha_changa

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Ralston, I appreciate your time and help.

It's curious how my icons and other windows for apps are not effected, I have been slowly customizing my new setup with no issues. It just seems to be File Explorer not playing along.

I'll just keep searching for more solutions and things to try. I'm sure there's ones I haven't tried yet.

Thanks again.

mutha_changa

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Issue Fixed!!

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled Win10 only, now my File Explorer is back to the way I wanted and it's behaving and operating normally as it should.